Speaker cable on a budget

Geoff Doughty

Standard Member
I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I have purchased a pair of wharfedale diamond 220 speakers for my front left and right front as floor standing speakers, a 220c centre speaker, elac debut a4 mk2 atmos speakers placed on my diamond 220s and some diamonds dx-2 as my surround speakers. I also have a wharfedale sw150 subwoofer. This gives me a 5.1.2 set up.

I would like to purchase some budget speaker cable. My budget is £2.50 per metre for surrounds and upto £5 per metre for fronts, centre and subwoofer.

I am not sure what to purchase or whether to have same cable throughout or better quality for fronts and centre.

The surrounds are approximately 7m cable length and fronts are 1-3

Many thanks for any advice given.

Geoff Doughty

Standard Member
Just get some 1.5mm cable and use this for everything. Avoid CCA if you can, but this will do nicely: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/2...-ofc-1-50-50m/dp/CB08655?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

Your sub will require a screened line level cable. If the length is short, pretty much anything will do, but worth paying a little more if the length is excessive - more than 3M or so, as induced noise can become an issue.
Thanks noiseboy 72. What is a screened line level cable. What would be a good brand. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Thanks again

S3rv3d

I just used the above a few weeks ago. 1.5mm for the surrounds and 2.5mm for the fronts. I’d seen it recommended on the forum. The other stuff recommended by noiseboy looks similar.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Thanks noiseboy 72. What is a screened line level cable. What would be a good brand. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Thanks again
Assuming you are connecting the sub directly to your AV receiver and not at speaker level to your left and right speakers (You have the option of either with this sub), then this will be connected at line level via a phono socket, not speaker cable. This will do nicely, but they are available at lengths up to 10M depending upon your room layout.

Amazon product

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you are looking for good quality cables which don't bust the pocket, you could also look at our Fisual line of cables. I'm sure many on here will give them the thumbs up for pricing and performance ability :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom