Speaker cable lengths and type

bravogolf

Am re-doing my cinema room, it's been years since I lost myself in the finer details such as this. I have a loft room, I can route cables outside the partition walls and around. It means I have the shortest speaker having 5M or so, with the longest 20m. Approx 65m all in, that's assuming I don't bi-wire the two front speakers, speakers being Monitor Audio's Silver RX 5.1 series.

I was thinking of going with QED XT25's cable, seems to be best budget cable. Any suggestions? I assume too that I'd be better off getting one large reel and cutting myself rather than fixed lengths?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Save yourself a bundle with a lower cost 2x2.5mm cable plus save time with a twin axial cable which is far easier to pull than a shotgun cable.

The VanDamme Blue series or Samson Black Series are both options - Blue Series has a slightly more flexible outer jacket.

Joe

bravogolf

That's great @Joe Fernand, thank you. Presumably you think the quality of those two cables are sufficient for my setup? That is - the perceived impact of the QED's is such that the cost is not warranted. You're definitely right, great value on those speaker cables. I guess I'm worried that it won't do the speakers justice 🤷🏻

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Loudspeaker cables have been a topic of discussion for a long time!

All you require is consistent quality of copper and a suitable cross section of copper to match your cable lengths and power you will be sending across the cable.

The twin axial cables are easier to pull through walls etc vs a conventional shotgun (00) cable.

All talk of higher quality metallurgy, amazing effects of all manner of materials and construction techniques I leave to others.

We use the cables linked to on pretty much all systems no matter if it’s a £1.5k system or a £20k+ system it’s just copper :)

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom