1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable length?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Fidelio, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My AV amp is in the left hand corner of the room. I need to wire up my 5 channels and was wondering if I will cause any problems by having different length speaker cables for the front left, centre and front right.

Will having different lengths of cable unbalance the sound because the signal is getting to the speakers at different times?

Thanx for your help.

Fidelio

2. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    should be fine mate,i run different lenghts for mine and cant tell any difference.
    ian

3. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The important factor is the speed of sound (slow) rather than the transmission speed along a cable (immensely fast). You can probably adjust your amp to tell it how far away your speakers are from you main listening position - it will then insert a corresponding delay for the sound signals to hit the speaker

4. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I know that alot of 'serious audiophiles' recommend that you should keep all cable lengths the same, however I personally agree with the other comments and think that it would make very little if any difference to the sound quality or balance.
    In fact if you have excessive amounts of cable coiled/rolled up it would probably cause more damaging effects due to capacitance and inductance than it would having differing cable lengths.
    I really think this is another one of those HI-FI 'golden rules' that aren't very golden and shouldn't be rules.

5. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Many thanks for your responses. I can now proceed with the speaker cable construction from CAT 5.

Fidelio :thumbsup:

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As has been said, you'd need a difference in length of several 10's of metres before you'd notice anything. Moving your head a few centimetres will have a bigger effect.

If you're making speaker cables, have a look at my EvilTube thread. I've had good results using coax cable instead of Cat5 :)