1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cable length, same for each speaker?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by shoestring25, Feb 10, 2003.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    is it right that i should use the same length of speaker cable for the fronts, center and surounds? won't you end up with meters of cable for the fronts and center just coiled up that you don't need?

if that is the case i will need 60m!!!!

i have a budget of £150 for the speaker cable any sugestions for a suitable speaker cable for about £2.50 a meter?

all advice and suggestions greatfully received

cheers :confused:

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In my opinion....

Make sure front L & R are the same length as each other.

Make sure rear L & R are the same length as each other.

If you have three identical front speakers, make the center the same length as the front L & R, otherwise don't worry too much.

3. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why?

The signal travels so quickly down the cable that you would need 10km on one and 1m on the other to hear any difference. It really isn't that important.

4. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO it doesnt make the slightest difference. Human ears cannot hear any time difference at such a short distance. Use as much as you need.

It is near impossible to hear any lag at a distance like that difference.

The only advantage of buying the same length wire is; if you are going to move to a another house or something.

Im using CABLE TALK TALK 3.1 throughout. I am very happy with it. Its great value for money. Its isnt very fexible, so it isnt great for all situations.

QED QUDOS ORIGINAL is worth considering, but I found abit light weight.

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230

I suspect you wouldn't hear anything on the end of a 10Km cable...isn't this a load issue rather than timing? As long as you balance the sound output i wouldn't worry too much.
    For me, in the lounge, the cables are as long as they need to be to look right, in the hi-fi room all my cables are the same length and curled up here there and everywhere

spence

6. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's not down to timing though, it's down to the effect the cable has on the signal passing through it.

This effect is probably not noticable in real-world situations, but then if you are spending a reasonable chunk on money on the cable in the first place, you want to make the most of it.

7. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    surely every cable has electrical resistance and the longer the cable is the more resistance the signal has to pass through.

how would this affect the signal? loss of definition and detail or sound volume?

cheers

8. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Reduced volume but these things are usually frequency dependent so it maybe more complexed than just a linear drop in dB. In normal circumstances i'd expect things like speaker position and room acoustics to affect the sound between different speakers to a greater degree than modest differences in cable length...with the proviso i'm no expert!

spence

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
  10. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The resistance of the cable is so small that it really isn't issue unless in an extreme situation. I was exaggerating when I said you would need 10km:1m. Just making my point.

Read the thread nicolasB suggests. It says everything I would say.

11. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The front speakers require 3-meter lengths and the rears 12-meter lengths so having the fronts and centres at shorter lengths would almost half the amount of cable needed and save me money. But would such a difference in length affect the sound.

Barring in mind
    1) Good quality cable used not cheap rubbish
    2) Seating position at the rear of the room between the rear speakers
    3) If all speaker lengths are to be the same, 60m of cable needed in stead of 33m and extra would be coiled up behind speakers out of sight (any harm in coiling it up)

Cheers

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I've similar differences in cable length in the family room, and do not find it a problem...

spence

13. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the lengths you have stated, I don't see a problem with having different lengths of cable. If I were in your position, I would go with the cheaper option of buying cable of different lengths.

If you were to buy your cable all the same length then coiling the extra 9m on the fronts would probably have more of an effect on the sound than using shorter runs.

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    All I have done is have same lengths for each pair

rears use flat biwiring cable around skirting board then half to each speaker.

Fronts use same length - what would happen if I moved the amp?

Hence 2.5m for each front

15. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't coil up the speaker wire as you will turn your nice speaker cable into a nice inductor:D This will have a far greater effect than unequal lengths.

Fold spare cable up concertina style

16. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    miller25

I've nothing to add to the length of cable debate (FWIW I have mine the same length but it does means I have about 6 metres tied up on one as my left speaker sits next to my rack).

However, if you're after decent speaker cable at a cheap price I'd have to recommend the DIY route. Have a search on this forum for 'ffrc'. I made this speaker cable about 6 months ago and found it a huge upgrade from my previous cable (QED Original MKII bi-wire cable at £5.00 per metre). The FFRC cable comes in at about 1.20 per metre if I remember correctly and was dead simple to make. Even if you go for the full 60 metres you'll still only spend half of your budget!

I used to use Cable Talk 3.1 before upgrading to the QED and would say that that was easily my least favourite of the three.

Regards

Richard

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    for properly designed cable different lengths in this application is fine, you will not hear any difference. It is irrelevant. The difference are minute and theoretical only, certainly not audible, not even close.

Timing :( just inaccurate I am afraid.