1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable length - digital interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by t1grm, Jan 22, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Sorry but I’m scrounging information again :zonked: ; this time on cables. Two questions:

1) Is there any problem having different length speaker cables for L & R (front and rear)? I appreciate this may sound a daft question but all the “high-end” made up cables I’ve seen are sold in equal length pairs. Is this just convenience for selling or is there a technical reason they should be of equal length?

2) Is there an adaptor or emulator that allows me to connect a Firewire device to a digital (co-axial or optical) input on an amp (apart from a PC! ;) )? I’d specifically like to get a digital connection from my iPod to my amp. The iPod only has Firewire and line-out and the amp (Marantz SC7500) only has co-axial or optical.

Cheers

Gary

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    1) Mixing speaker cable lengths is fine. You'll need differences in length of several tens of metres before you'd notice a difference, and moving your head a few centimetres will cause more of an imbalance. I can take you through the maths if you like too. ;)

2) I don't think so, I don't think using a decent 3.5mm-2 RCA interconnect would be a problem though (from the line out). MP3's aren't exactly the highest of fidelity media to start with anyway. :)

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
  4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    No, there's no way to get a digital connection from the Ipod. The cable suggested is the way to go :)

5. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. Thought so about the speakers.

I've already got the Apple Hi-Fi interconnect kit which comes with a Monster Cable 3.5 jack to 2 x phono. Just fancied getting a digital signal as my amp has got some clever surround modes that only work with digital. Looks like I'll have to stick with the current interconnect.

Cheers

Gary