Speaker cable length and laying question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by HT Dude, Oct 9, 2000.

1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to lay some speaker cable. All 7 speakers are identical, 3 at the front with the amp and 4 at the back. The EX amp has equal power output for all speakers.
    I have plenty of cable available and I'm going to be laying down under the carpet after cutting grooves in the underlay.
    Q1. Will it matter if all the cables run together or should I go to the effort of spacing them out to reduce eddy currents or whatever?
    Q2. It's easy to ensure that the 3 speakers at the front have equal speaker cable lengths and ditto the 4 at the back. However, how important is it to ensure ALL 7 speaker have the same length of speaker cable? This would, of course mean the 3 fronts have MUCH more speaker cable wired in than they actually need.
    Q3. The amp, cable and speakers are all fairly high quality. (Denon AVC-A1SE, QED silver anniversary into 7 Ruark Dialogue One Rs). Would YOU bi-wire ? Would you maybe just birwire the fronts only ?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey spinball, I'll take a stab at your questions.
    1. The speaker cables can be run together. You should not have any trouble with interaction, as long as there are only speaker cables running through the "channels" Keep the speaker cables away from power cords and interconnects
    2. I would take time, as you suggested to ensure the length of the speaker cables in the front are equal and the length of the surrounds are equal, but no all 7 do not need to be the same length. You can adjust for delay on your Dennon receiver. If you look in the manual it should have a chart for delay/speaker distance, or if you are lucky you can just input the speaker's distances directly to the Dennon and it will calculate the delays for you.
    3. I wouldn't worry about bi-wiring the surrounds, although in theory the benefits would be the same for the mains and surrounds since a full range signal is sent to all speakers. The surrounds are not use nearly as much as the front three channels. I would recommend bi-wiring the front three, you will gain a little more clarity in the center's dialog and if you listen to a fair amount of music it is worth the extra effort, especially since you have the cable on hand.[/list=a]
      Hope this helps, and enjoy your new amp.