speaker cable help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by raduv1, Mar 24, 2006.

1. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,672
    hi all gr8 forum my first post i need help.i have a denon 1920 dvd + a denon 1906 amp + wharfedale diamond 9 hcp on order.dunno if i'll ever get them though supplier says end of the month fingers crossed.anyway could do with some advice on speaker cables i have about £200 to spend but i am not sure what to go for.this is my first system build as previous have been boxed systems. will be using this set up 50/50 cinema-music so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.speaker cable for rears will have to go under laminate flooring so help on the following would help thanks

fronts
    center
    rears
    sub

do i need to use the same cable on all fronts center and rears for the best result.and do i need to bi-wire not realy sure what it means but what the hell.i just want the best possible sound from this set

thanks ray

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chord co. carnival silver plus is an excellent cable (I use it in my bedroom setup). You should be able to get it for approx. 5.50 a metre.

3. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome aboard raduv1 ! :clap:

Don't forget interconnects, unless you already have this base covered? :confused:

A lot of AVforum people swear by the Van Damme Blue speaker cables. It's a bit bulky for my liking, and certainly won't go under laminate flooring...

Keep the same cable across the fronts, but no need follow suit across the rears (<10% of most soundtracks is from the rears IMHO.)

Decorp wire (American and ultra-flat) may be of interest. Otherwise one of the thinner wires from this list: http://***********/mef7a Or even try stripping out the centre, solid, conductor from CT100 satellite coax! It'll work just fine and is a dirt cheap experiment (50M for £15 - £20) if you decide it's not for you.

Paul. :hiya:

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya Ray :hiya:

Might be an idea to borrow a few different ones, just too see if you like the difference, if any, they may make to your listening...?

I must say I quite like Nordost Blue Heaven IC's, the speaker cable is the same flat design which would go easily under laminate, ah just remembered why I have not up graded my speaker cable yet &#163;&#163;&#163;. Maybe put one of the flatline cables on your list to try:smashin:

When you do borrow some, borrow some bi wire also and see what you like the sound of best bi or not:)

May be an idea to go pretty similar on cabling for the rears but don't need to spend as much as on the fronts as I find the fronts do most of the work and the rears just fill in a bit:rolleyes:

Have fun :D

5. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Dont biwire you will hardly notice any difference with your AV amp. Do not waste you money on expensive speaker cable like a few hear have mentioned. For the front speakers and the centre go for Van Damme Blue 2.5mm (1.98 per metre) and for the rears if you need a flat cable I believe QED do a good one for £2 per metre.