1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cable help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ttwarren, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ttwarren

ttwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could do with some advice rear speaker and side speaker what would be the best cable to use without spending silly money i am using denon av amp and mission 77ds side and rear speakers sides will be 8 metres each and rears 11 meters approx so 38 meters a lot of cable . would guess most expensive cable on the front speakers was thinking chord carnival bi wire to mission 773 floorstanders and to b&w centre am i correct in my thinking does anyone know what monster speaker cable is like ebay 100 feet for £40.00 was thinking may be suitable for sides and rear or am i wasting my money . any help would be great thanks

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Wasting your money. Some of the best stuff around is from Maplins Van Damme cable or there are several DIY options. Cat5 being one of them though 40 metres of braiding may have you thinking that it's not worth the hassle. Run a search on the cable forum it will pull up all sorts of interesting debates.....

3. ttwarren

ttwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi is the cable (via maplins) the profesional speaker cable £113 for 50 meters if so i will take your advice and get that do you have any recomendations for the fronts or is the chord fine thanks again

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You can use exactly the same for the fronts. Are you BI AMping or is a single run?

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The speaker cable from Maplins that I know is exceptionally good for the money is not £113/50m it is £12.99 for 20m which equates to a lot less.

The cable I've used/tried does not look like a current item anymore but they are doing a higher current rating version now. See here.... Speaker cable

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Haven't tried that. Not convinced you'd have sufficient surface area of cable. You can't really see by the picture and there's no info that I can see. What's the AWG of the cable?

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The cable I am using (well actually I'm not) runs a Krell KAV300 amp which is 150 watts/channel. It uses 79 strand wire. The code is N15AP. Actually just looking at the specs of the link it looks the same as it is a white sheath with a polarity stripe as mine.
    79/0.2 strand wire.

This IMHO gets real close to Nordost Blue heaven, some would say there's no difference depending on your line of thought.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I can easily believe it.
    If it' does a good job and costs peanuts then that's the way to go.

9. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi sorry if this is covered before, i have asked before which cables i should go for, and was recommened either van dam.... or cat5, i have looked around, so if this is a stupid question, if i purchase cat5 cable do i just cut of the ends (the plastic bits) and the use the wire to wire the speaker to the amp????

cheers

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    There is a fairly simple step by step guide in the link in my signature.
    This is one variation which works well.

11. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hey great link and good idea, do u have to use 3 cables??? to get a superb sound........ the cables looks like a think rope (when finished)!! how are u suppoes to hide it? cannot exactly put it under the carpet :rotfl: , peeps might think its a dead mice or somthing, not that we have mice in the house :rolleyes: , taking it up a wall to the rear speakers.....

any other suggestions?? i might try it.. it the thinkness of the cable thats putting me off

cheers anyway

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Don't have to braid it. I've known at least one person who hasn't and said it's still very good. Just run the 3 lengths of cable (Or more - I found six to be the magic number)

13. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm :rotfl: 6 cables???? for one speaker?????? or i'm i getting all this wrong, sorry i am just looking at cables to purchase.

do u hide the cables? and where and how? :)

cheers again

14. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knightshade,

Your guide has helped guide me to the world of Cat5.

Would you happen to have the link to the 6 cable braid handy? I know it's somewhere on this forum and doing a search would be advisable, but if you could post the link to the set-up, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Alex

15. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just use 79-strand. I don't believe you'll tell the difference, and the cat5 route looks like a hassle for no benefit.

16. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good site for 6 cable braid and other CTA-5 stuff is http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html

And, it really is easy. Answer to question about how you hide it is ... in the wall (ok, not very useful for everyone, but worked great for me)

Cheers

Greg