Speaker cable got cut - how to resolve

Brendas

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear friends, In bit of a mess. My house extension is almost finished. Today the installer while fixing the TV wall bracket drilled through the speaker cable going all the way from ceiling to the rear speakers. Pls find attached the photos. It is Van Dam blue cable. To replace the cable is going to be a very big mess now.

Please suggest what is the way to deal with it. Appreciate your suggestions.

Attachments

• Cable 1.JPG
    Cable 1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4789.JPG
    IMG_4789.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 103
Cut out the damaged section and splice in a short replacement section - you can either solder in the new section or use some form of mechanical connector (preferably something you can tape/insulate).

You can use screw terminal (chok blok) or 4mm male and female banana plugs.

Joe

Cut out the damaged section and splice in a short replacement section - you can either solder in the new section or use some form of mechanical connector (preferably something you can tape/insulate).

You can use screw terminal (chok blok) or 4mm male and female banana plugs.

Joe
Thanks a ton Joe. Just so that I understand, your advise is the following.
I have drawn a diagram with your suggestion . Is this what you mean. I have shown blue...same will be done for red as well. Pls suggest if my understanding is right

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 94
You have it correct.

I am assuming there is no 'slack' to allow you to chop out the damaged section and simply pull the ends together again before soldering or using a mechanical connector.

Joe

You have it correct.

I am assuming there is no 'slack' to allow you to chop out the damaged section and simply pull the ends together again before soldering or using a mechanical connector.

Joe
There is we will try to see if it can be pulled up. In that case we will not add the middle wire just connect the two end. Would you suggest sholdering or going with mechanical connection. I have not understood the mechanical connection completely but will try if that is the preferred option

Joe, Saajan, Upon close inspection I realise that only very small wires are cut. For example in the blue one there are multiple very thin copper wires may be 2-3 are cut. Shd we go through the route of cutting, soldering or just clean and put an insulation tape or something like that. Not trying to take any short cut as I do not understand the consequences but just wanted to bring this point to experts like you

Agreed the damage is quite minor. Tape it up and forget about it, it will be fine.

I guess it depends on how OCD you are :)

As others have said for minor damage a clean up and wrap with insulating tape will be fine.

Joe

Cheers Joe, No OCD at all. As long as the speakers work fine without any problem I am fine. We have taped it up, will see once the connection is made and update. Thanks again to everyone for the help

Just to re-ignite this thread....

I need to extend some speaker cables. could I twist extensions on to the existing cables and heat shrink over the joint?

Just to re-ignite this thread....

I need to extend some speaker cables. could I twist extensions on to the existing cables and heat shrink over the joint?
I would solder them rather than just twist and heatshrink, as the copper will tarnish and form a high resistance joint over time. Chocolate block would be an acceptable alternative if you don't want to solder.

I would solder them rather than just twist and heatshrink, as the copper will tarnish and form a high resistance joint over time. Chocolate block would be an acceptable alternative if you don't want to solder.

Yeah, I think I'll go down the choc block route.

Would you then just wrap insulation tape around the block or is there a heat shrink tubing that would do the job?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom