1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable for M&K speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rigman, Nov 26, 2001.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am currently setting up my system and have just got the M&K S-150 fronts with SS-150 surround. Those of you on the forum with M&K speakers what cables do you use. My room is 25 foot x 12 foot so the cables to the rears will have to be quite long.

thanks

Darren

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have the smae speakers an i use hchord company rumour (@£10/m) and its amazin!:clown:

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED Silver.
    Are you using two pairs of SS150's (sides and rear) or just one pair ?

Eric

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have one pair of SS-150's but I am planning to get two pairs as I also use a Lexicon processor.

At the moment I just use some B&W DS6 for the sides.

Anyone know where I can get a pair of SS-150's at a good price. No dealer in the states wants to know and my local dealer is sevenoaks who wont budge on the price for a new set (£1250 plus extra for brackets)

thanks

Darren

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    are you surprised at the price, the stuff whats happening over in the USA! i have been told prices will probably be goiung up in the new year cause of the hassle gettin it into this country!!! they are well worth every penny though.:eek:

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would have thought that with the US spiraling deeper into recession that they would be happy to sell whatever they could. As for the prices over here I think it is another case of rip off Britain. Just visit www.onestopav.com for confirmation of that. They are advertising the same speakers for 870 dollars a pair. and the MX350 sub which is over two grand here at 1272 dollars.

I suppose the only small saving grace with price fixing in Britain is that you do not see the item you have just bought, for half the price a week later which is something that really p**ses me off.

That me moan over then, I do agree they are excellent speakers but I am sure you see what I mean.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I go with eric on this one QED Silver Ann is good honest loudspeaker cable. It does all you need. (I have the £10 Chord stuff and the £16 big brother at home). Why spend more?

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    QED all round it is then.

thanks for your input guys

Darren

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,
    Why not do what I do.
    Use your SS150's at the sides and use a pair of S85 monopoles for the rears.
    Asuming your room is rectanguler, there is far more value in using the SS150 tripoles at the sides due to the two side of drivers firing along the longer length side walls.
    Not only will it save you money (S85's are half the price) but they are actually better suited for the shorter back wall in this configeration (again assuming room shape is rectangular).
    The sound of the S85's also compares well with the SS150's as not only do they use the same tweeter and midrange, they are also very close in volume (internal size). Very important if you want some sort of timbre matching.

Eric

10. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric,

You dissapoint me

I thought Cedia recommended "identical" speakers allround, unless they meet home THX specification, the last time I looked the '85's were not THX approved :clown:

I should have posted this in the General section in the thread about installs ;)

Steve

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using QED silver 12, and it sounds great. The green QED Profile 4x4 sounded great too.

I'd second the use of the S85s on the rear, it'll save you a fortune! Only their dispersion pattern prevents these from being THX ultra main speakers. The only other thing I'd check is the price of the M&K pro range. You can get them from Stirling Syco in Kilburn, North West London . I was considering some MPS / S150Ps there and they were a LOT cheaper! Not sure how much the tripoles were, but I do remember there are quite a few more options than just the SS150, the other newer models being bigger (& more expensive). The THX Subs were cheaper too.

http://www.stirlingsyco.com

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Uncle eric,

if I did get the S85's would I have to mount them upside down. The SS-150's are upside down when compaired to a normal speaker i.e. the tweeter is at the bottom as you obviously will know. I notice the S85s are the same as other speakers with the tweeter at the top.

Does that mean to get the same timbre matching would they also have to have the tweeter closer to us than the woofer. I would be mounting them about 8 foot behind and about 2/3 feet above our heads when seated. Or is it just a trait of a tripole that they are configured the way they are?

You assumed correct, the room is a rectangle and the screen will be at one end with the seating about 16 foot away from the screen.

Beast,

thanks for that I will give them a call.

regards

Darren

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,
    That was my next post. Yes, if you go for S85's you should mount them upside down so as the tweeter is at the bottom. If you want some degree of dispertion control, you can actually copy M&K by carefully sticking similar foam that they use just above and below the tweeter in the S85. Just copy what they did.
    Its the exact same tweeter as in the SS150 THX, S150THX even the 5000 speakers.

Couch potato,
    The S85's were actually never sent off for THX specification thats one of the reasons for their low price.
    If Darren use's them in the above configeration their should be no problem.

Eric

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'll second that!

We use the Rumour on the K-series pakcages and anything less doesn't bring out all the detail they are capable of. Plus you will never have to change your cable again! (Not for a long time anyway!)

15. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Okay so it will be a set of M&K S85's for the rears and some of the money I save by not buying the more expensive SS-150's I will put towards the slightly more expensive Chord rumour speaker cable. Good tip on the foam uncle eric. I will do some experiments when I get them up.

Sorted :D

thanks guys

Darren

16. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use S-85's for all fronts and ss-150THX to the rears or sides if you want the location.

The fact that the tweeters are the same as the THX Ultra products says alot for the high quality speaker that it is.

The matching for my ear is fantastic. I don't need to upgrade my speakers at all.

I would like a MX-350,250,or150 subwoofer though. As much as I love my VX-100 it does not satisfy in the same way the rest of my system does.

Regards

17. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    fair enough, although 2 vx100s would be awesome. if you are thinkn of sellin i might be interested, although i have been reading about the mx700, for the size is meant to be amazing!
    has anyone heard this run and what do they think?

18. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MX 700 uses the same drive units as the VX100 but uses two of the in push/pull configuration. This gives them the ability to produce far more output and control, therefore allowing the units to work well within their capabilities with no sense of harshness or straining. This is one of the reasons the MX125, MX150, MX350 and MX5000 all sound so good at their respective price points. Back to the MX700... The upgrade to push/pull design and the addition of a much more powerful amplifier (very conservatively rated at 200watts) means that, unless there are strange and unusual things happening acoustically in your room, the MX700 will outperform two VX100's. Having said that, an MX150 or especially MX350 will outperform an MX700, but the MX700 is much much smaller and therefore is easier to position in the best place sonically with less 'domestic intrusion'. If space and domestic contraints (and money obviously) are not a problem, go for an MX150 or MX350, otherwise aim for an MX700 and you will not be dissapointed. All of these, partly due to the push/pull design, are very fast and tight so are excellent on music. Many many music two channel recording studios use MX350's or MX5000's.

Also, briefly... The tweeter used in the S85 is the same as that used in the SS150, S125 and is one of the units used in the S150. Sorry to be pedantic but the center tweeter is different. The tweeter in the S5000 is also different. (much better!) The active speakers ,the S150P also looks similar but it different also-as are the bass units.

Anyhoo........whatever systems you use, enjoy your films and music.

19. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would the Centre speaker sound like if you changed the tweeter in the speaker itself so that it is the same as the others.

Better, Worser or just wouldn't fit?

Regards

20. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question. Short answer......no idea! The center tweeter is a different impedance to the outer tweeters. I guess (it is only that) that the center tweeter has a slightly higher output to enhance imaging. I'll try to find out and come back here with what I find. (both tweeters are the same to the eye and both fit in the cabinet fine. It seems to be just the impedance that differs.)