1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cable for KEF Q's

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MrJubbly, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my current speaker setup and have recently purchased a pair of KEF Q7's, a pair of Q Compacts and a Q9C centre. When I get round to setting these up I also want to replace my existing cabling and bi-wire the whole lot. Has anyone got any recommendation for cables that work well with the KEFs? It's probably worth mentioning that, in all, I'll be looking at around 21m of cabling (with plugs) and wouldn't want to spend anymore than £400.

Thanks,

Jubbly

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Mr Jubbly,
    Take a look at the cables forum and look at some of the DIY projects.
    £400 buys an awful lot of DVD's!

3. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why bi-wire? Bit if a waste of good money there,just use jumpers,also agree with Knightshade,£400 is alot of dosh for cables,I would look at £3-5,10 max giving you £200 if single wired.

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am using Liberty cable (4 core) from my hi-fi to my Q1's, and can’t complain! And on a good note it only costs about a quid a meter.

And it is only CAT 5 in size, so nice and easy to hide. ;)

Fish

5. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SKA.face,

From what I've read, people nearly always say the KEFs sound better bi-wired, and I must agree as I compared both when I gave a pair of Q5's a demo.

I've said £400 cos I was looking at QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire prices. This worked out at £8 a metre. When I included plugs (QED airlock??) at around £5 a chuck (with 5 cable runs and 6 plugs on each run) this brought me close to the £400 figure. And I really don't want to go any higher than this.

What are 'jumpers' by the way. Is this a way of bi-wiring without using bi-wire cable?

Kind Regards,

Jubbly

PS I'd still be interested to hear any recommendations from KEF owners for cables that work well with the KEF Q range.. Thanks

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    My Q-series are not bi-wired, however I use QED Micro Silver and they sound very good to me. I was going to go for the QED Silver series or even some Chord Carnival but couldn't justify the price. Plus I needed cable small enough to run underneath the carpet and along the skirting boards.

I also got rid of all the metal jumpers and have the same cable connected between the binding posts on all speakers.

7. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I use Chord Rumour for the fronts (Q7) and the centre (Q9c) (all biwired). I originally had them running single wired and noticed the improvement on biwiring.

The rears because of the distance are wired with a cheaper QED cable. I would suggest Chord's carnival range as being an option.

If running under carpets is an issue, Chord do an 'install' version of Rumour that is the same just without the jacket on the inner two cables so it is very thin. This is the cabling I am using for the fronts and centre. You don't get a biwire version of this but just run two lengths together instead.

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If you are really keen to bi-wire, beg or borrow some cable for your front speakers. If you hear an improvement, buy the cable.

Even if you get an improvement, I would not spend the money to bi-wire the rear speakers.

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    buy mine...excellent value, see here

then you can buy loads of dvds etc...! :D

10. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Jubbly,

I've just placed an order with bestpricetv.com for some QED Profile 4x4 for my Q2DS rears (yes, I know they can't be bi-wired before someone tells me - I plan to split it and use it as a single run!) - they're charging £5.49 per metre plus £4 per Airloc plug, which seems pretty good value to me (and it's free delivery).

I bi-wired my front speakers (Celestion A1's) with VDH CS122 cable and really noticed the difference (even my wife agreed there was a difference, and she was a major skeptic!).

Have a look on their website and see what you think (http://www.bestpricetv.com)

Good luck!

Craig

11. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    You will lose the benefit of the Airloc Plug if you split it afterwards unless you have the appropriate tools to refit it.

12. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry Katoric, I'm splitting it into two runs of single wire rather than one bi-wire, but thanks for the advice anyway.

13. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I've done a bit more reading since posting this and am now more skeptical about the benefits of bi-wiring. The science certainly seems to indicate that there should be no tangible gain in bi-wiring, yet there are many people that say that sound quality has improved as a result of doing so :confused:. Possibly the improvements are a result of upgrading to better quality cables, or the the fact that previous cabling had elements of degradation that were eliminated/reduced as a result of upgrading. I cannot say.

As I say , a lot of KEF owners (where my interest obviously lies) seem to advocate bi-wiring (and I notice a lot of B & W owners do too). For this reason I have not ruled bi-wiring out altogether. Just not as confident as going with it now.

Still interested to hear what other KEF-ers are using with their set-ups, and also about opinions on bi-wiring in general.

Regards,

Jubbly

14. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The entire amp-cable-speaker interactions are incredibly complicated. Any decent dealer would loan you some cable to try for yourself. As with most things in AV-HiFi, your system and your ears are the only important thing.