1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cable for home cinema? - help needed!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CMB, Aug 26, 2004.

1. CMB

CMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm going to be setting my first surround sound system up next week Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + MS Avant Premiere Plus (with a toshiba 330 DVD as source for the time being).

I need to get the speaker cable sorted and have been getting conflicting advice.

I was thinking of using some QED silver anniversary cable (without plugged ends) I already have for the fronts, then buying some thinner flatter cable for the rears as it will be easier to hide up the back wall. I will be running the wire under the floorboards and will eventually housing the system in fitted furniture so ideally need to get it right or as near as right first time.

Will it be a big problem if you use different cable for the fronts and rears?

Is it better to get cable with plugs on the end or doesn't that make any difference?

Any recommendations for a cable to use for home cinema purposes with this particular combo?

Cheers,

Dave.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    As long as each pair of speakers has the same cable, it is generally OK (put the centre on the same as the left and right). At one humorous point, I had QED original (£2.50/m) on the rears and Audioquest Pikes Peak (£277/m) on the fronts. I had to give the Audioquest stuff back however.

3. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would you maintain the same wire length for satellite speakers? for instance, if one of the speakers is 4m from the a/v unit and the other is 7m, would you run 7m of cable to each speaker, or will it not make an awful lot of difference?

4. CMB

CMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazzason - I'm hoping it won't make a lot of difference as I can probably butcher the cables I've got to feed fronts and centre, I did read somewhere that you should use same cable length but don't know how much difference it would make, especially if the difference isn't that big.

Tons of fun - Ta for info, will try to use the stuff I've already got for front/centre and get some new cheaper thinner for rears.