Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker Cable Coding

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kera, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Kera

Kera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of speakers with an integral cable. Both are black, but one has a white line along it. I wish to fit an RCA coaxial connector so that I can use them with a digital TV tuner as they were originally just stripped wires and would like to know which cable goes to the centre pole and which goes to the shield ring?

Please can someone help,

Thanks.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think there is a rule/standard for the color coding of such systems, so the manufacturer may have choosen whatever he liked at the time.
    It doesn't matter though as long as you solder both speaker (cables) in the same manner, i.e. both wires with the white line on the center pole or both on the shield ring.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Connect a 1.5V battery between the wires.
    If the speaker cone moves out you have connected correctly - i.e. +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve.
    If the speaker cone moves in, the connections are reversed.

I've never tried this so can't confirm whether it works and I presume it won't damage the speaker...

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The way I always do it (personnaly) is that one cable normally has a line/raised line on it, this for me is ALWAYS - (Negative) / black / ground, whatever you prefer to call it.