Speaker Cable: Chord Company LeylineX or AudioQuest Rocket 11?

Secondhand

Hello. So I’ve just about finished the stud walls and I will be soundproofing with Genie Clips, Residual Bar, two layers of acoustic plasterboard with some Tecsound. But now I’ve come to the minefield of speaker cable. Ill be creating a 7.2.4 system using Monitor Audio Silver Range and ceiling speakers C265-IDC and using my Denon 6700.

The studwalls sit 10mm from the masonry walls so I’ll run the speaker cable on the back of the stud walls. I’ve been recommended Chord Company LeylineX speaker cable as it works well for home cinema installation and the copper cable will compliment the Monitor Audios. My only problem is the cable is white and if I decide to not use a wall plate and banana plugs then I’ll see the white cable, especially when it comes to wiring in the MA FXs.

An alternate would be the much more expensive Audoquest Rocket 11 speaker cable. Copper wiring again but I’m unsure if the massive jump in price will be noticeable in sound. Bonus is the wiring is black. Also, would it be to chunky to wire into the FXs?

Maybe an alternative like the Van Dammes I’ve read a little about? If someone could help 🙂

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It’s all copper cable - the sound will be the same no matter which cable you use.

If you require a Black or Blue cable to blend with the decor we, and others, have VanDamne Blue Series or Black Series (bit stiffer to work with) or a Samson option in Black.

Joe

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
It doesn't all sound the same. If the dialiectric and grade/size and the cable spacing are similar it will sound similar. You dont need to chase brands or spend a lot of money. I recently experimented with sub cabling in my system before buying. I tried and A-B's monoprice, a cheap amazon car audio cable, Van Damm blue, naim NAC A5 (I was sincerely hoping this would prove to be the best given the price) and 6mm squared van damm 'HiFi'. I was hoping I wouldn't like the 'HiFi' cable as it is clear and, frankly looks erm a bit glam rock. But the best in my system, by a notable margin was the Van Damme HiFi 6mm sq. This is about £6-7 per meter. The worst was the monoprice in this situation. Alas you cant call it you need to experiment if you can. Interestingly the cheap car audio cable was okay and great for the price

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
One of the oldest 'discussions' on the HiFi block and one that is ever likely to have an answer everyone agrees with :)

I like Roger Russell's summation of the various factors at play.

Joe

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Lots of opinions here, the easiest thing to do is listen for yourself ! If you are unable to discern any difference great, money saved. It’s the same for every bit of equipment.

The science arguments are weak and undefinitive in many ways. A lot twisted to present marketing insight and pseudo science. There was a very good video of an interview of a cable designer for Belden. He spent 20+ years just designing cables. No surprise its not just about wires doing signal transfer and nothing else it’s more about ensuring they only do the job in hand which in some cases is not as easy as it seems.

I here the arguments about all dacs are the same, all amps are the same and so on. The reality is corrupting and losing resolution from the original signal is clearly easy and preserving is harder than we thought. In some cases swapping a cable can make no difference, in other cases for whatever reason the replacement is compromising the system less.

There is a lot of science already in existence. How some of the findings translate to audio is another question. Plenty of seemingly well constructed arguments to demonstrate they do have an effect and they didn’t

Just try is my advice and avoid high impedence thin cable for long runs

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom