• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker cable / AV Receiver choice

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm about to get myself a Panasonic TX-P42GT20B 3D plasma panel (a retailer has made me an offer I just can't refuse when joined with all the free stuff [2 extra pairs of glasses, 3D Blu-ray player, 4 movies] Panasonic are currently giving away when you buy one)

I've currently got a Std Def Panasonic plasma which has an internal amp that I use to drive a 2.0 speaker system. The GT20 doesn't have any audio built in so I'm going to have to get myself a home cinema system that is a good balance or price/performance. I'm going to do the Richer Sounds thing and I'm currently looking at the Denon AVR-1911 and the Tannoy SFX5.1 speaker package. Richer have some end-of-line AVR-2310s in stock for a little more (I can't afford the AVR-2311.) These look like a better amp but the Denon site says they are only HDMI 1.3 so I don't think one will sit well between a 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D TV.

My front room doesn't make it easy for me. The TV and front speakers have to go between the fireplace and the door (with <10mm to spare) and there is no other suitable site in the room. To get the speaker cable to the rears I'm going to have to go up and over the door frame, along the end wall then along the back wall.

The average length of the rear cable runs will be about 18m (I think one is 20m and the other 16m). I would appreciate some help choosing speaker cable please. I'm aware the room is far from ideal and that neither the amp nor the speaker package are world-class so I'm looking for the an appropriate cable that performs well without wasting money.

I started with the thought of Gale Symphony 200 (Cambridge Audio SYMPHONY 200 | Per Metre | Richer Sounds) which I used in a system I built for the recreation room at a company and seemed to work well. I was wondering if Symphony 400 would be a lot better (Cambridge Audio SYMPHONY 400 | Per metre | Richer Sounds). The sales guy at my local Richer is telling me that he thinks the runs are a bit long for Symphony 200 and is steering me towards Cambridge Ultra Micro (Cambridge Audio ULTRA MICRO | Per Metre | Richer Sounds) which he says will sound better at that length as it's silver, even though I've always believed "fatter is better". The range Richer sells starts here Speaker Cables | Speaker Accessories | Richer Sounds . They are convenient but I would consider something from another retailer if there was a significant gain.

Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom