1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dmurfet, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a returner to this stuff and listen to music / watch video in equal proportions thorugh the same system.

I currently have a new Yamaha DSP AX750SE 7.1 amp (quite popular I understand) and I have Sonus Faber Concerto Home speaker. I have random throw away speakers as rears. No sub yet - I am on the look out for a REL Storm 5 (or similar) - trying to get ex-dem and save a few quid. Chances are it will arrive shortly and if it doesn't, I'll buy new.

I will add a second set of Sonus Faber some time this year and the Concertos will become rears. I also hope to upgrade the amp and us it as just preamp, attaching a / some Krells - probably again, this year.

So I need some speaker cable - what should I be investing in? What sort of money should I be spending on this stuff given the system once kinda complete will be the thick end of 10k?

Where is a good place to compare the kit, and should I take my own speakers with me? Can you get loaners? Do people spend less on the rear speaker cable per metre since generally you need more of it?

Thanks for any advice!

:hiya:

David

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you're going to audition anything,try and do it in your own home with your own gear,and at this sort of price level,most dealers should be happy to loan you suitable cables to try.....don't listen in a shop,as this isn't going to compare in any useful way with your own home,or your equipment....it will simply reflect the dealer's gear,and any cable/amp interactions there.

Do bear in mind that regardless of the detractors,certain amp/cable combinations work better than others,and with Krell in mind,Kimber(which I use),and Transparent,or Nordost will work well together,without emphasizing any one part of the frequency spectrum.

You may also wish to consider that,costs aside,the Krells you buy will considerably outclass the Yamaha,even when that is used as a preamp alone,but if this is part of an overal slow upgrade,then it should be fine.

For Kimber,you can loan cables on a 60 day trial period from www.russandrews.com and return if you find no benefit(as long as they're in good condition,of course!).

I've used Kimber,Chord,Nordost etc on mine,and settled on Kimber after a fair bit of testing in my own home......the other possibility is to construct your own cables,and you will find plenty of info here on how to do so,and what to use,if you wish.

As to quality of cabling front Vs rear.....assuming the same amps,and similar speakers,I would be inclined to use the same for each.

3. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - good advice - and yes the yamaha preamp idea will be a staging post for more Krell, but they kinda knock you financially, so it is a staged process!

:thumbsup:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely right...they do hit where it hurts,but well worth it.

I've had my own rather elderly ones for some years,and the power,sound quality and general control are superb for AV use,if a little less so for music,where I use a set of 300B triodes and Quad ESLs.

There are loads of cable manufacturers obviously,and also the laws of diminishing returns apply very strongly here,especially when the savings related to homebrewed cables are applied.

I can only speak from my own experiences,having tried and used lots of different cables along the way(forgot Linn's triamp cables also.....about the same guage as cooker cable,but not the best for the Krells in the end).

If you are contemplating even the KAV type Krells,you want a decent quality cable....even the little ones can shift a good bit of current,and the big ones(my old KMA's included) can easily shift 50 amps.