Speaker cable advice please

steelydanfan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, could anyone recommend a good quality speaker cable in the up to £2.50 a metre range please?
I am specifically looking for something that is fairly flexible for tight/restricted spaces.

It's for a surround set up in my "man-cave" :) consisting of a gaming pc and a PS3, I have rescued some old gear from my loft, I probably should have sold this lot while it had some value but then I wouldn't have been able to set this up if I had ;)

I am using a Yamaha DSP-A630SE with a Mirage AVS-500 speaker set and a FRX-8 sub., the problem is my speaker cable is too stiff!
It is QED silver anniversary cable that I have had for several years which I also use on my main system in the living room, in the living room there is plenty of room around the speakers and amp so the stiff cable isn't a problem.

In my man-cave (study) there is not much room to get the cables onto the speakers and I don't want to forcibly bend the cable!
I see the Van Damme speaker cable gets regularly recommended on this forum but that also (from the pictures at least) looks fairly heavy duty and possibly inflexible?

Many thanks.

The VD Blue Series cable is a twin-axial cable with a pliable PVC outer jacket so far more pliable than the QED cable your are currently using and hard to beat in terms of installation ‘flexibility’.

Speaker Cable

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for the prompt reply, I have noticed that you have recommend the Van Damme 2x2.5 cable to a few people for it's quality and value for money. I have never seen or handled this cable before, would that size be your recommendation or should I go for one of the smaller gauge cables?

Cheers

We tend to use the 2x2.5mm on most applications - though we have used the 2x1.5mm where budget/size dictates and we are not using anything high powered in terms of amplification.

Joe

For me speaker cable is one of the biggest over hyped selling items out there. The only thing you want to worry about is Electrical Resistance, and in general the fatter the cable to lower the resistance (I.e the fatter the pipe the more water you can put down it)

I ended putting in 6mm cable which to be fair is complete overkill, but as it was all getting buried behind skirting boards I really didn't mind and means it would take anything I throw at it in the future.

Try and avoid running in parallel to anything that may cause induction though and generate any noise if you can

You can get it cheap on eBay at around 1.50 a meter

6mm Speaker Cable | eBay

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for all the help guys, I have decided to follow Gordon's advice and get some Van Damme blue series 2x2.5.
Having looked at the specs. I think it should be perfect for my needs :)

Cheers

Hmm, that 6mm cable looks tempting! V cheap for what you get, how pliable is the outer jacket? I need to buy some cable for my new build house and I'm running all the speaker and CAT 6 cables, so could be interested in buying that 6mm instead of the 2.55 VD Blue, esp at £1/m for a 100m roll!

It's
Hmm, that 6mm cable looks tempting! V cheap for what you get, how pliable is the outer jacket? I need to buy some cable for my new build house and I'm running all the speaker and CAT 6 cables, so could be interested in buying that 6mm instead of the 2.55 VD Blue, esp at £1/m for a 100m roll!

It's reasonably pliable, about the same as standard electrical cable. To be honest it's total overkill and you Might be best of going with 4mm which is cheaper, easier to work with and you wouldn't know the difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom