1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cable advice - please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GarethL, Jul 1, 2004.

1. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System:

Arcam AVR300 amp, Marantz DV8300 CD, Monitor Audio Silver S6 and S1 speakers.

I have the Silver S6 speakers connected with 'CYRUS high purity solid core speaker cable' I bought this years ago and can't remember how much it cost.

The Silver S1 speakers are in the kitchen and are connected with Gale Electronics hyperlitz 250 - bought for cheapness as it is a long cable run.

Is the CYRUS cable any good ?
    Would I be able to improve my sound by upgrading this cable ?
    What would you recommend (please give a cost indication also) ?

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,521
    I used to use Cyrus solid core cables, but prefer using multistrand such as QED Silver Anniversary ( £5/m ) these days...

Hard to say what sounds 'better', as there's a whole debate as to whether speaker cable makes any difference at all etc, but i prefer multistrand stuff just because you've generally got a bigger diameter conductor than with solid core designs.

The QED silver sounds nice in my system, and looks 'expensive', and isn't too chunky.
    Those are the reasons i picked this particular cable @ £5/m

3. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Gareth ,

You must have thought that the Cyrus cable was good at the time of purchase. Personally I would save my money and spend it on something else! Do a search under 'cable' and you'll find many threads here.

You'll find that most here agree that they make relatively little difference compared with the improvement in sound by, say, upgrading your CD player.

How about getting some contact cleaner and cleaning all your connections instead? Much cheaper!!!

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,521
    I'm with Matt on that one..

My post might have given the impression that I'd 'upgraded', which isn't the case..

I packed up for a while due to major house renovations, and decided to go for multistrand when i kitted up again.

I was very happy with the Cyrus cable I used..

Interconnects can make a hell of a difference IMO though.. If I was in your shoes and fancied a bit of tinkering without spending too much, this is what I'd be looking at changing..

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    find a dealer who will trial you some cables. i trialled some QED Xtube stuff a while ago, and didn't buy it as i didn't think it made an improvment but speaker wire can actually make or break a system. i personalyl believe it makes more of a difference than interconnects. but what about your mains supply? I've personally found upgrading that, either with a mains conditioner, or just better IEC leads makes an enormous difference :) With the state of the UK mains supply, as they say, garbage in, garbage out ;)

incidentally, is that speaker wire called Mission/Cyrus Quartet? That was a biwire, solid core cable, that retailed for £8/m although it only got very mediocre reviews