Speaker cable advice for first 5.1 set up

willp2003

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice for my first 5.1 set up please. I'm getting some Kef T speakers and probably a Yamaha V673 amp, but routing the rear cables will involve going round the fireplace in some D line trunking.
I'll need to run 2 speaker cables for the rears and also another 2 for my kitchen speakers (Q Acoustics 1010) and an ethernet cable.
The fireplace run will involve some 90 degree angles so I need a cable flexible enough and small enough to run through the trunking and get round the corners. The trunking would be the 22mm quarter circle stuff.

I know the van damme blue cables are well liked here, but they look quite chunky? Would the QED original cable be a good choice?
Cable length would be approx 6 - 8m to the rears and 10-12m to the kitchen. Willing to spend up to £2.50 per metre.

Thanks

Edit: bugger, the trunking won't fit where i was going to run it, back to the drawing board. Might just have to have some ugly cables runs for now.

Last edited:
The QED original is good. Try Ebay, there are always a lot of QED speaker cable listings and I'm sure you can get something at your required length at a lot less than brand new price.

If you really need flexibility, get 2 QED Micro per speaker. I.e. instead of 1 cable per speaker (2 cores, 1 POS and 1 NEG), you use 1 cable per terminal (4 cores, 2 to POS and 2 to NEG). That effectively double the core area but you gain a lot of flexibility. Or if you really want to go overboard, use 3 or 4 or more. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom