1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cabinet Vibration

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Mike Dando, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a pair of Mission 702e fronts which have behaved perfectly for 18 monhts. However the left cabinet has developed a
    serious vibration which can be heard above both music and film soundtracks.

They have not been touched, moved or bashed with the hoover and sit rock solid on their spikes.

I have tightened all of the housing bolts, and even taken the spikes off but it has made no difference.

The volume doesn't have to be especially high to produce this unwanted sound effect either.

Any ideas?

Mike:confused:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Have you tried squeezing the cabinet together in various places while it is making the noise? If you do that, you might be able to find what is causing it. Other than that, the rattle may be coming from something inside the cabinet...

HTH

Gary.

3. Mike Dando

Mike Dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I squeze the cabinet from the sides at the same height as the cones, the vibrating stops :confused:

I am still none the wiser though. Everything appears to be tight and the cones look OK.

Perhaps it is something inside the cabinet that has worked loose?

Mike.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    hi Mike,

It certainly does sound like something is loose, or the cabinet internals have come adrift to some degree.

You might be able to get it fixed or replaced under warranty.

Talk of coincidence - I got a Rel Q200E today, and I did an initial test in my lounge at reduced volume - it was very tight and the extended bass was quite noticable over my Paradigm PDR10.

I then took it up into my loft cinema, and at half volume with the crossover set at 40hz, it rattles and blaps during very low bass sounds. Toy Story 2 opening sequence is a good example.

Oh well.... :O(

Gary