1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cabinet Repair Query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Home PC Nut, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does anyone know of any products you can buy which would allow MDF based speakers to be resurfaced like new. I have 2 M&K THX Speakers (1 Front & 1 Rear) which both sustained case damage after falling from their brackets @ different times and now have either minor dents or case scratches. The speakers still work perfectly though.

I just wonder if their is any alternative to shipping them back to M&K in the US as they have told me it will cost a lot more for the actual shipping than repairs so am looking for a UK alternative to this.

The official M&K UK Importer do not seem very interested in assisting me in this matter so I will not be buying anything from them ever again!

TIA

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521
    HomePC Nut

Whenever we've had customers with a damaged cabinet (wood or MDF with wood veneer) - its usually a trip to our local French polisher and a few days later the spks come back good as new.

Stripping a cabinet down to fully re-veneer would be costly and potentially you might not get them back together as well as the factory initially assembled them.

Best regards

Joe

3. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I would go along with the French Polisher to repair it. One of my speakers has a large ding in one top corner and it's away for repair at the moment. It does help that I'm quite friendly with a French Polisher through my work. I don't have a clue how much it would normally cost but he's only asking for a couple of beers :)
    Hope he does a good job as I've never used a French Polisher before.

4. stellaman

stellaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    french polishing is not hard to do, look it up and have a go. its more about repetative patience than skill, you will want to french polish every bit of wood you see once you have done one piece. liberon do simple to use products.