Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker buzzing from AMP?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gswhite, Jul 1, 2004.

1. gswhite

gswhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone could give advice or help on the following problem?

I have recently noticed that my speakers had started to buzz, sometimes low and sometimes quite loudly. After some investigation I noticed that the stereo leads coming form my TV into my amp were the cause. After more investigation I discovered that if I wiggle the lead going into the AMP the buzzing stops. However, after placing the AMp in standby in the evening and then switching on the AMP in the mroning the buzzing returns.

Again, wiggling the lead cures the problem. I have tried numerous leads of varying quality to no avail. I presume there is some sort of feedback loop or something causing the issue. Is there a way to suppress the buzzing, or does anyone know what could possibly be causing this and what would cure the problem?

Many Thanks in advance for any help

Gary

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    As you have tried several leads and the fault goes away when the lead is moved I suspect a 'dry' or broken solder joint. If it is then it could be a very easy fix. :)

Is the unit under warranty?

3. gswhite

gswhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is what I suspected at first, but it does not matter what socket I plug the TV into, I still get the same buzzing. I am starting to think it is electrical and maybe an earth issue.

Gary

4. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could try earthing the case of the amp with a bit of wire to one of the faceplate sockets of the mains outlet (if they newish they should be earthed) and see if it goes away. Failing that, wire a 13A plug with an earth wire only (don't do this unless you are fully competent) and attatch the other end to a screw on the amps case.

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually, thinking back, I had a similar problem with the inputs on a Rotel amp I had once. The ground input was not earthed properly and I ended up soldering a wire to the chassis and to the ground on the input which cured it completely. Again, only attempt if you know what's what.