1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker buzz

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by brotherbear, Oct 14, 2004.

1. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there.

I have a 5.1 surround set up using a Yamaha amp and Jamo speakers and sub. Recently my speakers have started to buzz/hum quite loudly. It's probably more of a hum than a buzz. The sound comes from ALL of the speakers including the sub when in 5.1 mode, and just the front two and sub when in stereo mode. The buzz/hum remains at the same level regardless of the volume control on the amp. It is even there when the amp is muted.

I haven't changed anything at all in my set up. I've tried disconnecting everything from my amp except the speakers, still the same. Then I tried, one-by-one switching all my kit off at the mains. No joy. Then I tried disconnecting my wireless modem and cordless phone as I thought they may be inteferring. Still no joy. I even went to the extreme of switching off every mains powered item I have. Still the buzz/hum remains. I also disconnected the TV aerial but again no joy.

Recently I was using a portable DVD plugged into the aux phonos on the front of my amp. Can this have caused it? Have I damaged my amp or is it faulty?

Could it be interference from something in a neighbouring flat? I've never had this problem before.

The buzz is loud enough to ruin my listening and it is really annoying me.

Anyone have any ideas about how I can stop this buzzing?

Thanks.

2. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.
    Presumably the humming stops when you turn your amp off.
    Is the humming coming from the speakers or the amp its self? i.e. could it be that the transformer in the amp is vibrating somehow?

3. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It'll most likely be an earth loop problem - do a search and you'll find loads of information and suggestions on cures.

4. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The buzz/hum is coming from the actual speakers themselves and is pretty loud. It's also coming from the sub too. Yes, it does stop when I turn the amp off.

How come it only just started happening when I never changed anything in my set-up?

I searched for earth-loop problems but am mystified by it all. One thing I read is to connect up a three pin plug but just to the earth and connect the other end of this to the amp phono ground. My amp doesn't have a phono ground, but does have a tuner ground terminal. It's located with the tuner connections. There are two terminals for my AM loop antenna (which I'm not using). One of these is marked GND and the manual says it is advisable to have a wire going from this to earth. What would happen if I connect the earth from the mains to this terminal? It all sounds dangerous to me!!! :eek:

What to do next? Anymore advice is most welcome. Thanks. :smashin:

5. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm reading your original post correctly, you have already tried disconnecting all connections to the amp at the amp end except the speakers wires and you still get humming.

I'm guessing the earth pin of the mains plug of the amp is plastic, as most if not all modern electrical equipment are these days. Generally speaking, earth loops are caused by equipment connected to each other having more than one path to earth. By disconnecting all the interconnects from the amp, this would have eliminated any earth loop scenarios.

How odd???

Here's something else you can check.
    1. Make sure that the amp is not resting against anything metal which may be earthed.
    2. Make sure that non of the 'live' speaker wires are shorting both at the speaker end and at the amp end.
    3. Make sure that non of the strands of the speaker wire is touching the casing.

Perhaps it requires an earth connection??? You can provide an earth by, as you suggested, attaching a wire from the amps casing (GND of the aerial connection should do) to the earth pin of another plug.

Please let us know how you get on.

Mel.