1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker buzz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wattsy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using preouts from av amp to integrated amp to run front speakers. when i switch on tv i get a low level buzz from front speakers. The irony is that if i play cd/sacd in dvd player with tv switched off then no problem.

Any suggestion as too possible causes would be appreciated.

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nobody will bother to think with you if you don't care to state your gear and give some more details...
    Barend

3. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice new to all this. I am using a new denon avr 2805,pioneer dvd 656a, Jvc 32 Interiart, Mission cyrus 2 integrated amp with psxr. Speakers are acoustic energy ae209s. I purchased the new amp to replace Yamaha 595a the same problem occured with this amp but i put it down to amp hence update but problem persists. Integrated amp is 4m away from av equipment with rca connections running under floorboards. I have tried all inputs on integrated but buzz is still there when tv switched on. Someone suggested that it could be earth problem.

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try earthing both amps casework together with a single run of bell wire or old speaker cable if you have any lying around.

5. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wookie
    Thanks

Do you think i can use earthing connection on amps for record deck connection or do i need another means of connecting earth?

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the Phono (record deck) grounds on each amp and they should balance themselves out (same potential).

Make sure you turn off all your kit before hookup.

7. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wookie

I'll let you know

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds to me as though you're defo getting some sort of inteference from the TV...but it's coming from the set itself, not the electrical cable.
    Do you get the buzz whenever anything else is switched on and the TV is switched of...?
    If not, seriously check your cable runs...speaker and phono and make sure none are touching the TV.
    Also, leave the TV and amp on until you get the buzz...then unplug each piece of all your other equipment one at a time from the mains and see if the buzz dissapears...if it dosen't, it's defo a problem with the TV. If it does, then it's a problem with the last piece of kit you unplugged...earth maybe. I had a similar problem with my centre speaker buzzing...traced it back to the subwoofer using the unplug method. Cut the earth wire on the sub and the buzz dissapeared. Probably didn't do my sub a world of good, but at least my centre speaker didn't buzz... :D

9. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army Bloke.

I'll get unplugging and let you know, Many thanks Wattsy

10. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after much connecting/disconneting/earthing te best result i have obtained is by earthing ground on back of denon avr2805 to the earth on a plug(no other connections and fuse removed) then plugging into mains. I am concerned though that I may have overlooked something and whether this will cause any damage! Any ideas. When I connected ground from denon to ground on integrated amp the buzz reduced but replaced with Hum! perhaps i am obsessed with bees and wasps! Any reassurance on above connection will be appreciated. Thanks for help to date.

Wattsy

11. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will be fine.
    One other possibility is reversing the mains input on the denon.
    If it uses a 2 pin plug, this is easy.

I had a similar problem and resolved it by earthing both amps chassis and making sure both were wired correctly at the mains plugs.

One of my amps was wired L to N and N to L, swapped the wires over in the plug and the buzz dissapeared.

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Generally, buzz is 100Hz and hum is 50 Hz, which means 100Hz is either coming from a badly smoothed power supply or from the TV.
    So it only happens when you have the telly on?
    Is the TV screened internally? Most are nowadays because of the enormous digital hocuspocus going on inside.
    I wouldn't start with drastic measures like tampering with the power line grounds (ouch!).
    First play the TV with NOTHING connected just the mains.
    No hummbuzz?
    * Connect each signal cable to and fro one at a time.
    Still humbuz?
    * Nothing you can do but distance the TV, but try ferrite rings around the mains lead (I happen to sell Philips orange+pink with the cable through the pile-of-2), this old PTT method is still very effective; much better than the ferrite clamps although I also sell those www.barendh.com.
    You may have to cutoff the plug...
    Better still is opening the set and mount a decent screened mains cable.
    Not sure whether you should earth the TV, sometimes it's better to use a 2-prong mains plug (if these exist in Britain). And for Ohm's sake use a decent coax feed to the TV, a good "100 Hz" -very approriate- well screened RG59 variety or better, not a cable they usually throw at you in malls...

Found a cable that's faulty or bad quality?
    Buy a better one....all cables carrying video should have metal plugs and RG59 cable at least, double screened is better.
    No idiotic expensive stuff is necessary.
    Same cable can also be used for digital or analog audio.

Still hummmbugg?
    Start all over from scratch and make sure it IS caused by the TV!
    Sure it is? Throw it away or sell it to a bloke that doesn't care for separate A/V processing.

Good Luck!
    Barend

PS
    I'm not mentioning my site to sell anything to anybody, just to inform you, look under FERRITE in the English section.
    I'm sure you can find suitable ferrite toroids in England.

13. wattsy

wattsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wookie and Barend

Wookie are you suggesting I switch wires even if wired correctly ? or only if incorrectly? If the former are there any risks or am I being paranoid. Not sure if plugs are moulded will need to check.

Thanks again.

Wattsy

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    try disconnecting all wires from record deck
    record decks often cause earth loops.

Make sure only one connector goes to TV
    muttiple connections to 1 piece of kit can cause earth loops