1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker buzz using power amp/integrated amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bbanduser, May 28, 2004.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Over the last few weeks, I have bought an Arcam 8R/8P combination and a Rotel RMB1066 6 channel amp. I was bi-amping the fronts using the 8R/8P and then using the Rotel. When I connected my Denon 3802 to these in turn, both times, I have noticed a buzz in the speakers. The buzz is not very loud, but it is there.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Why the buzz is there and how to minimise/eradicate it?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get it and the main reason is mains quality...... it is a real problem to get shot of it though

ad

3. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it possible to get rid of it then?

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I would suspect an earthing problem. Are all amps earthed? In my setup I have to earth the chassis of my receiver to the chassis of my integrated amp or I get the buzzing you describe. Try connecting a wire from the Arcam combo to the Rotel and you may find the buzzing goes away.

Cheers, Mylo :thumbsup:

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I had a similar problem and bought a ground loop isolator which remedied things. This is the one I bought :-

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/xitel_ground_loop_isolator.htm

I have replaced a lot of my kit recently which doesn't suffer the same problem I was experiencing so it may be worthwhile trying to find which component causes the problem and replace the mains lead or swap the socket it's plugged into. :)

6. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems to be earthed. I have a decent quality extension lead which has an indicator saying whether it is earthed or not and it does indicate that it is. The Rotel is the only one connected to it.
    The Arcam is not connected to the system at the moment - just the Rotel. When the Arcam was connected, the Rotel was not, and the speakers connected to the Arcam was buzzing at that point. It's aways the speakers conected to the amps are the ones which are buzzing, not the ones connected to the Denon receiver.

How do I earth the chasis of the receiver to that of the amps?

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I used a piece of wire with eyelet crimp connectors on each end. I removed one case screw from the rear of each device, then carefully scraped away the paint round the screw hole to bare metal. Then just refit the case screw with connector fitted.

Mylo :)

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I am sure that it is not the Arcam amps that are at fault (well I did sell them to bbanduser and they did not buzz on my system) and the fact that it also occurs with the Rotel would suggest to me that it is a problem with the preouts on the receiver.
    Do either the Arcams or the Rotel buzz when playing a CD connected to the amp, but with the receiver switched off? If not then I would say that this confirms that the receiver is at fault.

Mark.

9. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With the receiver switched off, and only the rotel or the arcam switched on, the speakers still buzz.
    It's strange, because when i touched the rotel with both the receiver and the rotel switched off, I still got a small electric shock!!
    Looks like there is some leakage taking place.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Time to get an electrician in to check your mains wiring by the sounds of it.
    Also the ground loop isolator suggested by Hawklord sound like a good idea, and for just over £20 is a cheap upgrade if it does work.

Mark.

11. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I reconnected everything again (I mean the speakers) using the Rotel and the Receiver. First I turned on the Rotel and there was a big buzz from the front left and the centre (strangely, nothing from the front right). Then I turned on the Reciever, and the buzz diminished quite a bit,but it's still there from the left and the centre.

Can it be that the buzz might go away if the speaker wire touches the body of the amp? Or the reverse this might be achieved by using spade connector or by bana plug(on the Rotel,as the Arcam does not accept bana plugs)?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

12. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have also noticed some 'sparky' noises from the front speakers from time to time.A bit like 'clicks', nothing loud, but they're there.Maybe linked to the same problem.

13. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    In case anyone interpreted my comments in the wrong way I was not suggesting any device was faulty. :cool:

In my situation it was simply down to the fact that my Arcam amp has a three pin IEC connection (live neutral and earth) and my Marantz receiver a two pin IEC connection (live and neutral). I had to connect a common earth between them to stop them buzzing.

Cheers , Mylo :smoke:

READ ME :lesson: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94144&highlight=earth

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    BB, I can confirm that I never had a buzzing problem with the Rotel you bought from me. But, as you have said, you get it with the Arcam as well, without the Rotel connected.

Hope you get it sorted.

15. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Steve, I know that there is no problem with the amp. It's just there is something wrong somewhere.
    Today the buzzing is a lot less,so will have to monitor it closely.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Other things to try are unplugging/switching off other electrical equipment such as the fridge/freezer & central heating/hot water system as these can introduce a lot of noise onto the ring main.
    With a bit of luck you will get rid of the buzz by doing the above. By switching 1 of the appliances at a time back on you will at least find out what is causeing the problem. You may then be able to leave them off during use of the AV/HiFi or get some mains treatment. I know Belkin are doing some noise filtering mains blocks for around £50 for a 6 way block that might help to reduce the buzz.

Mark.

17. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tried replacing the interconnects between the Receiver and the amp (after trying everything else) and voila! the buzz is gone!

Don't know what to make of it, but I am happy for the time being!! Will try experimenting later in the week.I am tired now (wipes the sweat off the brow).

18. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am interested in Hawkwinds nifty little device. Can someone explain in simple terms what a ground loop is?

I am building an extension at present as a dedicated home cinema room. I am getting a dedicated spur with a separate distribution box and unswitsched sockets. Could I still get this problem and what would I say the the electrician to avoid it from the start?

Martin

19. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18