1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker buying for the uninitiated

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve.EX, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Want some great speakers with a fantastic sound (well don't we all) for no money whatsoever but don't know a crossover from a legover?
    Over the years i have read about and listened to (with much joy it must be said) more speakers and opinions on than i can honestly remember (although not all terribly seriously), and i have come to the following conclusoions.
    That whilst we all aspire to the unattainable and god knows half the products i read about in Hifi+ and Stereophile and the like i have never heard of much less heard, i am of the mind that your money is very safe with the "run of the mill" Kef's, BW's, Monitor Audio's et all.
    Take my Kef's for instance, at 3000bgp for the stereo pair, 1000bgp for the center and 1400bgp for the surrounds/rears, this too me constitutes a massive investment which i feel represents my devotion to the subject if not my lack of willing to step into the speaker unknown. Whilst the real enthusiasts here (addicts) Charlie Whitehouse, Uncle Eric, The Beekeeper, Gordon AV would most likely consider these speakers to be "something or nothing" and certainly not their choice, i am utterly content in the understanding that whilst their are surely better speakers out there for the same (probably less) money Mr Kef and Mr BW etc have been in the game for a very long time (relatively speaking) and have the resources available for extensive R+D. soak testing etc etc that some of the more continental cottage industry type manufacturers can't match,and of course the smile factor they give me in ownership/day to day usage.
    This i feel has a knock on effect for their more modest ranges allowing for very respectable budget models based on higher end designs.
    So my advice when anyone is stupid enough to ask me about what speakers to go for i say try (listen to) the Kef's and BW's of the world if finances are tight, certainly they will cost more than your average Richer Sounds affair but invariably i feel the results speak for themselves.

Charlie, Beekeeper, Eric, I have no doubt that your speakers make mine sound like Tandy PC speakers by comparison!!

Steve.

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    While the ingredients count (and you are using great ingredients in your recipe), it's the sum of all parts or end result that really count.
    Knowing what a fussy bugger :D you are, I have no doubt that sound quality in the EX residence is pretty awsome.

3. Thomas Crapper

Thomas Crapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are too modest Steve. I have been a long time lurker and admirer of your advice and only registered here today to tell you that.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    That is very kind - thank-you.

I would like to say in a "pass-me-on" that any advice asked of or offered by, the likes of:
    Charlie Whitehouse
    The Beekeeper
    Uncle Eric
    Gordon A.V
    Stuart M. Robinson
    Would be advice well heeded indeed, these are the guy's (and others) who experience/knowledege clearly surpasses my "reckonings" and attend far more (shall we say) "enlightned" forums than these, they give advice freely (for the listeners) and (i suspect) gain perhaps not so much by return.

Kindest Regards

Steve

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Steve,

If you gave a bunch of money to the people in your list to buy speakers they would all choose different ones. :D

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Jeff

Of that i have no doubt (bet they'd all be "O.K" though)

Steve