1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker brackets - any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by planbeta, Aug 14, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to figure out which speakers will go where!?

Basically what I need to know is do proper stands drastically improve the sound quality over a decent speaker bracket like the one shown attached?

I have two configurations in mind:

1) 5.1 set up with 2 KEF Q1's with floor stands and a Q9c on the front and a pair of Q1's with speaker brackets for the back

OR

2) 6.1 with 3 Q1's at front and 3 at back all with wall brackets.

Which would be the best option?

Cheers

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    6 x Q1's sounnd like the better option (more speakers:devil: & matching tone throughout.) However how do Q1's sound close up to a wall like they will be on those brackets? Any bass boom? Best to check with Uncle Eric or demo. Brackets look like good quality tho'. Nice:) Also do you have nice solid walls for attaching them to?

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very few speakers will work to their best potential when placed as close to a wall as brackets are likely to force, however, I believe that the Kef Q series aren't quite as adversely affected as many others would be in this position.

Would you be using the Qs with a subwoofer? If you are then the negative bass issues inherent with using speaker brackets become less of a problem. If you're not, you'd be unlikely to achieve a decent bass sound.

The optimum solution would be 6 x Q1s on floor stands if possible.

4. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Juboy and Nobber,

Unfortunately I have plasterboard walls instead of some nice solid brick walls...

Sure would, I have brought one of Eric's Velodyne CHT10 subs! Are you saying if you put the speaker close to walls then you should set the sub with a higher crossover and cream off a little of the Q1's bass to counter-act any bass boom?

Would be nice if I could afford the space!

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'd be worth checking the plasterboard/bracket set-up can actually hold the weight of the Q1s, they're fairly weighty.

In that case, I would set all the Q1s to 'small' on your amp, set your crossover to 80hz and you should be OK as the Q1s will then be reproducing higher frequencies which aren't as adversely affected by close placement to rear walls (although try and keep them out of corners/away from side walls if possible).

6. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Juboy,

I think I will probably go with the 5.1 setup so at least I get a nice solid sound from the front, the rears HAVE to be wall mounted...

Cheers

Chris

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably the best compromise as the rears are less likely to be sent bass heavy sounds as they're more used for ambient effects. The front three speakers are where your main concern should be.

Let us know how you get on.