Speaker binding post question

musicphil

If the bridges are in place it won't make any difference to the sound as far as I know. Those bridges carry the signal across the binding posts. Try taking them out and then wiring up your speakers with just two wires and see what happens
Erm, that's the plan.😉

password1

Distinguished Member
Try links made using these cables.. Special offer, 2 metres for only £52k. Bargain hahaha
IMG_20210909_160937.jpg

IMG_20210909_160753.jpg

FootHealer

It will improve them, but not by anything like as much as the ones I can sell you for £10k
Hook me up, man! I need some of them high resolution terminal links. Just need to sell my car and register to take part in some medical experiments. Your confidence has sold me on this sure-fire HiFi upgrade nirvana experience ;)

TheHighFlyingBirds

Hi all,

Today I was watching a review of the Q Acoustics Concept 20 by a home theatre enthusiast, and during part of the video he demonstrated how he wires up speakers that have 2 pairs of speaker binding posts using only a single run of cable. He kept the bridges between the posts in place, but rather than putting the positive and negative cables into either the lower pair or the upper pair, he inserted the negative into the lower negative terminal (LF) and the positive into the positive terminal of the HF or upper pair. I've never seen this done before, as I always used the bridges or speaker wire and attached the cables from the amp to the LF or lower pair. I've not tried this for myself yet (will do later this week when I have time), but am wondering if anyone else does this or knows anything about it? I ask because both pairs of speakers I currently use are "bi-wireable". My experience of bi-wiring is mixed: it sounded "different", but not necessarily better, as least not to me. That aside, I'm wondering what this dude is on about. Is he on to something or not? Proof is in the pudding, of course, but for now, opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

FootHealer
I do this on my q3050, as thats what was in the speaker manual as the standard connection. Can't say I heard any difference when I was feeling mischievous and wired it with cables going to both pos/neg hf terminals.

FootHealer

I do this on my q3050, as thats what was in the speaker manual as the standard connection. Can't say I heard any difference when I was feeling mischievous and wired it with cables going to both pos/neg hf terminals.
Ahhh...maybe the reviewer was simply following the manual! That would explain it. Goodness knows why they recommend this.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Ahhh...maybe the reviewer was simply following the manual! That would explain it. Goodness knows why they recommend this.
The term is diamond wiring (wasn't sure but just googled) if you want to have a read.

FootHealer

Well, I've tried the "diamond wiring" and, to my surprise, I did hear a difference. Sadly, it made the sound worse (to me). Certain sounds seemed further forward in the soundstage and others further back, as if the keyboard was at the front of the stage on the left while the singer had decided to stand at the back of the stage. The sounds themselves seemed less natural, boosted in some way. I'm not saying it was worse...it reminded me a little of the difference between the Monitor Bronze 5s I am listening to right now and the Bronze 500s I just returned. The imaging is also more focused with more space between the instruments in the old style of wiring. The diamond method sounds lblended together, more unrealistic. Its hard to describe...the diamond wiring has something of an appeal, like being in a nightclub dancefloor, not a good seat in a concert hall. Some people might like that sound. But for me...no thanks. I'll keep wiring my speakers in the LF terminals.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom