1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Audition List needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davehk, Nov 29, 2004.

1. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    OK, so after 25 years it's time to upgrade my main speakers. I have a pair of the original Mission 770's from 1976 and, whilst I like the bass extension (usable at 40Hz), I feel the mid range and top to be lacking.

Dual usage - Classical (mainly) music and HT. Current center is Mission 77C and surrounds are M5DS. Sub is REL Strata III

Current amp power is 100wpc at 8R, 150wpc at 4R. Centre and rears driven by Yammy DSP800E. Room is 26' x 11', speakers firing down the long axix. Listening position about 11' from speakers/screen.

A list of speakers to audition would be useful. Any price up to £1K/pair

I have local Sevenoaks and Audio-T stores

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest the Following Speakers : -

Spendor S5e approx 1k

ProAc Studio 125's approx 1k

Quad 22L's approx £900

Monitor Audio S8's appox £800

BTW: My mate picked up some old Spendor S6's from Audio T last week for £650 brand new and they used to sell for £1300 also worth a look

John

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    B&W 705s, MA GR10s a close second. Both worth a listen @ £900 ex stands. Both focus and image extremely well, the 705s beat the GR10s for me. Both have outstanding vocal clarity and sweet detailed treble. The GR10s sonic signature is perhaps slightly understated in comparison to the B&Ws. It will be down to personal preference and system integration.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think the cream of the crop has been mentioned above, just thought I'd second the recommendations already stated, we are a lucky bunch to have such fantastic speakers available to us in that price range.

I would add that with the REL Strata III already in your posession, the Quad 21L's may also be worth a listen, RRP is £700, the reason I state that is because the REL should be more than capable with the low end grunt, and the 21L may integrate better than the bigger speakers already mentioned above.

5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dont forget Dynaudio's wonderful 52SEs at about £900 the pair.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah they do sound sweet heard them recently!! :)

John

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At the Bristol show this year three of us that listened together thought that the Totem Rainmakers were the best in the show at about £900 per pair.

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Now to get onto the stores to book a listening session.

9. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get to Audio-T, you may still be able to pick up "B-grade" (i.e. discontinued) Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkIIs for £899. They have them in Birdseye maple or Piano gloss black at £999. I auditioned them against 52SE and GR10 - they were a clear winner for me. Bargain definitely worth a listen.

10. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Quite agree parrydave - I nearly bought those countours at full price. They may be small but their sound is stunning with stupendous clean bass and extremely articulate treble.

11. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Spent a couple of hours at Sevenoaks litening to B&W 705 and MA S8 (via Arcam A90/P90 biamped). Both much better than my old Missions.

705's were more accurate with slightly better imaging and control than the S8, but lacked weight and body. And on the Atlanta Symphony 1812, the cones hit the endstops when the canon fired.

So prefer the S8 out of those two. but Sevenoaks suggested the GR20 would be better if I could stretch (almost double!) the budget.

Booked into Audio-T after Xmas to listen to Dynaudios, Totem, etc. And an AVR300 whilst I'm at it.

Thinking about AVR300 with CH6&7 to biamp the fronts, then maybe add a P90 later to take over the low end of the fronts. Thoughts?

Thanks,

12. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only that you can't bi-wire dynaudios. They only have 2 binding posts per speaker. If a biwire/biamp set up is on the cards the Dyns may not be of much use to you.

Although, listen to them you may decide you don't need to add extra amps etc.

13. tecman

tecman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard from a friend that there are some B grade Monitor Audio Gold ref 20 speakers around, apparently they are meant to be in a silver finish but have "an olive tinge" to them, they are being sold at around £700.

14. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    GR20s are great. Hell - who wants a conventional silver finish......

15. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    PMC GB1s....

16. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    OK, so now I've auditioned the Dynaudio 52s (lack of low bass, flabby bass, honking port - and that's with NAIM electronics). The Dynaudio T2.5s (they have an ex-demo pair at Audio-T in Epsom, if anyone's interested) - which were better in the bass department but didn't really let me get into the music - and the GR20s. The GR20s won.

Going for GR20s, AVR300 and P90.

17. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If you like the GR20s, why not compare them and the 704s before finally committing? Also, if you haven't already, I would recommend trying to get your proposed system home for a listen before parting with your cash.

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The GR20's are lovely speakers, good choice :smashin:

19. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sevenoaks are willing to change them if they don't work in my room, so no problem there.

20. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Deed done - system now comprises AVR300/P90 (in stereo direct mode, not biamped yet - waiting for new speaker cables to arrrive), MA GR20, Arcam Delta70.2 CD player, Rega Planar III TT (waiting for phone pre-amp to arrive) for stereo.

Add REL Strata III, Mission 77C (seems a pretty good match with the GR20s, much to my surprise) and M5DS for the HT side, with Pioneer DVD 656A + a composite feed from the TV/Cable box as HT sources. Display is a Philips Garbo Matchline via YUV feed onto a 98" Draper screen.

ALso I do have the REL coming in at 32Hz under the GR20s via the high level input for stereo.

Now just need to get the GRs run in a bit. I noticed that the AVR sounds awful when cold - definitely needs to be warmed up before use.