Speaker and Sub Settings ... Denon AVR 2311

Witterings

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always bought just above mid range AV / Audio equipment assuming they'd be a reasonable quality but not really understood best ways to set them up but I'm suddenly erring owards becoming a minor audiophile and am starting to understand a bit more including what cross over levels for a sub mean.

Whilst it's an AV system I bought .... I thought it had a reasonably strong music orientation ... Denon AV 2311

My surround speakers are Acoustic Energy Evos sold as a package in those days.

The spec for the fronts is
Crossover 3-way, 8 element 12dB/octave slope at 350 Hz and 3.2 kHz.
High power inductor for bass.
High quality OFC wire to drive units Power handling 30 – 150 watt max
Overall frequency response 33 Hz – 22 kHz (38 Hz – 20 kHz ±3 dB)
Sensitivity 90 dB/1 w/1 m Impedance 8 ohm

I'm trying to figure out the best settings for the speakers / sub and if for music I should use the stereo or multispeaker setting for playing music.

I have the fronts set to large and the centre as well, playing music the sub doesn't seem to be be involved at all ...... it was set a full on the crossover (not sure if that's what their automated speaker set up told me to do before running it) and the volume was half way.

Both for TV and surround I have had to make some changes from their automated setup, the rears were totally overwhelming for both TV and stereo and having got those right so ideally don't really want to run it again.

Apologies ... I become awfully garbled at trying to explain stuff I don't have that much knowledge of and guess in essence my questions are:

1/. Should the Sub be active playing stereo music?
2/. If so is that dependant on stereo / multichannel stereo setting?
3/. If it should and it's not .... any ideas?
4/. Should my fronts / centre bet set to small or large?

Any help for someone who's always had a major apprectiation of music equipment but is rapidly heading towards the audiophile category would be greatly appreciated.

First and foremost you should run the Audyssey room calibration. Your setting for the speakers after calibration should be set to small with a crossover of, hopefully, 80hz. LPF for LFE set at 120hz. Your sub should have it's crossover set to it's maximum, phase to 0 (zero) and volume at around 10 o'clock for the calibration purpose. Use all available points, eight I think, when running the calibration.

As for using stereo if you select stereo from the menu via the green button on the remote then select 'stereo' as this will allow the sub to be active for stereo music. I'm not a fan of all channel stereo and will only use all those speakers for when I'm playing multi channel SACD or blu ray concerts, etc.

Some people prefer running stereo music in 'Pure Direct' but this will by-pass the bass management for stereo sources and the front speakers will be treated as full range and the sub will not be employed. I found this the best setting for my particular speakers.

The 2311 doesn't have XT, so it's MultEQ, which I believe is maximum 6 mic positions.

The 2311 doesn't have XT, so it's MultEQ, which I believe is maximum 6 mic positions.
Agree, should have remembered I once run the 2310 and it is only six with basic MultiEQ. Very reliable units.

First and foremost you should run the Audyssey room calibration. Your setting for the speakers after calibration should be set to small with a crossover of, hopefully, 80hz. LPF for LFE set at 120hz. Your sub should have it's crossover set to it's maximum, phase to 0 (zero) and volume at around 10 o'clock for the calibration purpose. Use all available points, eight I think, when running the calibration.

As for using stereo if you select stereo from the menu via the green button on the remote then select 'stereo' as this will allow the sub to be active for stereo music. I'm not a fan of all channel stereo and will only use all those speakers for when I'm playing multi channel SACD or blu ray concerts, etc.

Some people prefer running stereo music in 'Pure Direct' but this will by-pass the bass management for stereo sources and the front speakers will be treated as full range and the sub will not be employed. I found this the best setting for my particular speakers.

Cheers for that, I won't re-run Audyssey only as I've made changes over the years that best suit my listening and one bad ear BUT it has helped me .... my settings weren't far off, it was only really the change I'd made from small to large fronts, the sub settings were as they should be.

I can't seem to get the sub working with stereo though, it's fine in multichannel but nothing in stereo mode at all.
I did look in the seperate audio setting and it was 2channel/direct ... I'm guessing this is what I need to change ... in this part of the settings it's also still seeing the fronts as large.

I did look in the seperate audio setting and it was 2channel/direct
That's the setting that is by-passing the bass management so the sub isn't getting a signal as the fronts are being treated as full range, so pure stereo input and output. Does your remote have the flip out back? If so press the D/ST button until stereo appears. ST will give you front left and right plus the sub.

That's the setting that is by-passing the bass management so the sub isn't getting a signal as the fronts are being treated as full range, so pure stereo input and output. Does your remote have the flip out back? If so press the D/ST button until stereo appears. ST will give you front left and right plus the sub.

It's not a flip out back but funnily I noticed the D/ST button on the front earlier as I was cleaning the remote :) ... I'll give it a try and thank you again!

It's not a flip out back but funnily I noticed the D/ST button on the front earlier as I was cleaning the remote :) ... I'll give it a try and thank you again!
Yes that will be the button. D=Direct (sub by-passed), ST=Stereo and subwoofer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom