Speaker and sub reccomendations please

archer66

Hi all, I have a large lounge 20' x 30' I have decided on an Onkyo 876, 60" Pioneer and either RS5/RS6 fronts, RSFX rears and hopefully an RSLCR centre if it fits, what sub are you using or would you use around the £500 price range?any input appreciated!:thumbsup:

Andrew K

Banned
Above your price range but i would be considering the RSW-12 sub anyway. Based on what you are looking at I'm sure you can get a decent deal anyway.

MrD_htpc

Novice Member
Onkyo 876 :nono: would rather a Denon 2809 or a Yammy

and stay with the speakers but look some where else for a sub

SVS or BK both do great subs at £400 to £540

chapeau

Novice Member
Hi all, I have a large lounge 20' x 30' I have decided on an Onkyo 876, 60" Pioneer and either RS5/RS6 fronts, RSFX rears and hopefully an RSLCR centre if it fits, what sub are you using or would you use around the £500 price range?any input appreciated!
Am mulling over the same decision and it seems that BK subs get a massive following on here. Not sure whether that is a good or bad recommendation of course :D

But assuming it is... The RSW12 would appear to be in the same category as their xls200 or xls300. Seems like the finish of the BK sub is comparable to the MA finish so other halves should be happy. I found this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/821913-monitor-audio-rsw12-vs-monolith.html

which is all heresay and I cannot find the original source, so take it with a pinch of salt if you like, but the second post suggests the XLS300 is better than the RSW 12.

xls300 retails at £380 (XLS300/PR). If the above is correct and you want something in a similar size to the MA sub it seems like a no brainer to me.

archer66

Am mulling over the same decision and it seems that BK subs get a massive following on here. Not sure whether that is a good or bad recommendation of course :D

But assuming it is... The RSW12 would appear to be in the same category as their xls200 or xls300. Seems like the finish of the BK sub is comparable to the MA finish so other halves should be happy. I found this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/821913-monitor-audio-rsw12-vs-monolith.html

which is all heresay and I cannot find the original source, so take it with a pinch of salt if you like, but the second post suggests the XLS300 is better than the RSW 12.

xls300 retails at £380 (XLS300/PR). If the above is correct and you want something in a similar size to the MA sub it seems like a no brainer to me.
Hi Chapeau

I opted for the REL T1 in the end having listened to various peoples advice and had a demo in the shop of that and the much more expensive REL B3, not many people seemed to rate the RSW 12 for the money including the dealer that I bought the REL from and he was a MA main dealer!!go have a listen at your local store:thumbsup:

chapeau

Novice Member
Yes, the RSW12 does seem to be a lot more expensive than other subs that it might be compared with. I suppose there is a cost to providing a place where you can demo these things and that cost will naturally be passed onto the consumer. Still think it's hard not to go with the BK. Gets good reviews, direct from the manufacturer so less markup, and Distance Selling Regulations apply. After all, it's what it sounds like in my lounge that matters, not in the shop :)

Hi there,

I am running the RS centre, RS6 front and RS5 for rears along with the all mighty SVS PC Ultra :eek: sub. I am running the Onkyo 876 too. Sounds the nuts!!!!!!

cheers

Graham

archer66

Hi there,

I am running the RS centre, RS6 front and RS5 for rears along with the all mighty SVS PC Ultra :eek: sub. I am running the Onkyo 876 too. Sounds the nuts!!!!!!

cheers

Graham
Hi Graham

Just out of interest what speaker cable are you using and have you bi-amped the fronts?

Alan

Hi there,

I am running the chord silver screen cable and bi amped the fronts. Sounds good to me. Not the expensive cable but good all round though. I don't know if I would hear the difference if I used oddyssey instead.

Only shame is that it is really thick and can't go under the carpet.

cheers

Graham

archer66

Hi there,

I am running the chord silver screen cable and bi amped the fronts. Sounds good to me. Not the expensive cable but good all round though. I don't know if I would hear the difference if I used oddyssey instead.

Only shame is that it is really thick and can't go under the carpet.

cheers

Graham
Hi Graham

The reason I asked is because I have had to use Chord Campana due to having a very tight space to run the cables in, the store did try and sell me the Carnival but it was to big:thumbsdow I have put the extra wire in to each of the fronts though so hopefully that will help:smashin:

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom