Speaker and receiver

Elvias

Novice Member
Hi all!

I'm looking into getting a better setup than I have now. Have a bad soundbar and a pretty bad sub.

I've been looking at Jamo s809, Dali oberon 5 mostly. Was into the q acoustic 3050i as well but I have small kids and the middle of the 3050i, I don't want it punched in. 😄 These are as you can see all WAF-speakers. I have a pretty bad spot for placing the speakers but I'm really not that nitpicky about if that affects the sound a little bit. I have a pair of eltax monitor 1 speakers that I tried just to get a sense of a wider sound and I really like it. Sound more like the sound is coming from the whole wall instead of a scrambled can in the middle (soundbar).

I was thinking I need a receiver as well because of maybe in the future get 5.1 or 3.1.2. I have been looking at german sites for speakers because they seem cheaper as I live in sweden. Nothing is cheap here.

I would really appreciate help in this because I'm really stuck and don't really have much experience in speakers at all except for my eltax monitor 1's. I like the sound of those , but maybe it's because I have never heard anything else really.

Tv wall is 3.6 m wide and the longer walls are like 9 meter. The spots in the corner for speakers is 32 cm wide and 30 cm deep.

Thanks in advance people!

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_222001~2.jpg
    IMG_20201227_222001~2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 40

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Corner placement is not ideal for speakers, especially for floorstanders! The way i see it it would be either bookshelf speakers on each end of the white cabinet on top or some wall mounted speakers at correct height. If you could consider swapping narrow cabinet below tv to what you have now, then that would open up options to floorstanders and you would also get more space to place the subwoofer at front wall possibly corner. If your use is mainly movies/tv then there is less reasons to look floorstanders as you will hopefully buy good subwoofer which handles the low end!

As for av-receiver i think you would be looking the price class of Denon X2700H / Yamaha RX-V6A generally with those speakers you mentioned. Of course if the budget is higher then something better, but i wouldn´t go too cheap with speakers as they are what you typically keep for years where as electronics come and go with new features. What i have read some comparisons the Jamo isn´t on par with Dali Oberon, QA 3050i, Monitor Audio Bronze 200 etc. Not as big suprise cause it`s cheaper. When you know which way to go with speakers you could go to listen them locally in hifi shop at Sweden, even if you order them elsewhere. You will certainly hear differences.

Elvias

Novice Member
Yeah I understand that it's not ideal to put floorstanders in the corners but does it really sound that bad? My partner didn't really like the idea of bookshelfs because they take up space on the bench, funny thing because floorstanders are so much bigger. :D

password1

Whilst speakers aren't ideal in corners if you want floorstanders you'll have to compromise on the sound. Make sure you placed them as far away from the wall as possible and experiment with using bungs if they are ported.

The QA 3050i are very deep, you might look at slim or compact floorstanders.

Elvias

Novice Member
Yeah that's why I was looking at the Jamo and the oberon they are slimmer .

By the way won't the eq softwares fix eventual issues with the speaker sound to an extent if i put them in corners?

password1

If you don't mind used, you could look for Elac cinema pipes or Canton CD series floorstanders. The Canton cd100 are similar to the cinema pipes.

The Elac debut 2.0 df52 are relatively slim at only 7inches wide.

IMG_20210106_172718.jpg

Q Acoustics concept 40 are slim but they are rear ported and have a wide feet. They'll need to be bunged and not placed right up to the corners/wall.

ddlooping

Hey Elvias :)
By the way won't the eq softwares fix eventual issues with the speaker sound to an extent if i put them in corners?
The quality and effectiveness of room EQs vary quite considerably from one type to another.
Don't expect miracles from those in mid-range receivers. ;)

Will this system often be used for music, and if yes how much of a "critical listener" are you?
If predominantly used for movies/tv, how about using satellites + sub, like the Focal Sib?

Last edited:

Elvias

Novice Member
Hey Elvias :)

Hi! 😊

Well maybe softwares like audyssey will make it somewhat better? I just don't really understands why it's so stigmatized(?) to put the speakers close to wall. Is it like 20% worse sound or like 90% worse? Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. 😊
Well as i said was kinda happy when I tried my eltax monitor 1 just to get the wider soundstage. So don't know what that tells you but. 😄
Mostly movies probably some music i'd say.
I'm not really into satellites to be honest.

Last edited:

ddlooping

Hi! 😊

Mostly movies probably some music i'd say.
I'm not really into satellites to be honest.
You should keep an open mind, sats + sub might probably be a better choice for movie/tv watching than a couple of towers placed in corners. :)

Elvias

Novice Member
You should keep an open mind, sats + sub might probably be a better choice for movie/tv watching than a couple of towers placed in corners. :)

Well I have an open mind towards bookshelf's at least. 😄 Maybe as someone said higher up, bookshelfs on wall mounts and I've even been looking at oberon on-wall. Don't really know about that though. Seems fairly unexplored .

ddlooping

Well maybe softwares like audyssey will make it somewhat better?
There are a few different types of Audyssey, the best one being the XT32.
I'm not sure how any of the others would be able to compensate for towers in corners.
I just don't really understands why it's so stigmatized(?) to put the speakers close to wall. Is it like 20% worse sound or like 90% worse? Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. 😊
It's well illustrated in the article you linked to.
High frequencies (in green) should be ok but the mids (green) and bass (blue) will bounce off the corner walls and maybe even your TV unit, creating a bit of a mess that's quite hard to correct even with the best room EQ....
I still think you'd get better results with satellites placed a the corner of the unit and a sub. ;)

Attachments

• 1594738186035.png
    1594738186035.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • advice-ignore-speaker-manual-image-06-speaker-dispersion.png
    advice-ignore-speaker-manual-image-06-speaker-dispersion.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ddlooping

P.S : the package I linked to contains two (L/R) up-firing Atmos speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom