Speaker and Amplifier help please

ne5

Novice Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having trouble finding a set of speakers I like. I have a Rotel BX-930 amplifier which is 20 years old. I've been looking at focal 705s speakers, MOnitor Audio bronze 2, KEFQ300 and a few others, but I think I like these 3. However, the focals sound slightly dull and miss detail on some tracks which I have listened to for years, the MA seem to be more "in your face" and upfront which I prefer, the KEF's had a nice tone but were quite deep for my taste. I like and want speakers with a nice tone and detail but not bass which is overpowering or make them sound dull, so I suppose I prefer "bright" speakers which portray rhythmn and percussion type detail but not hollow and lacking in depth either. Maybe the rotels aren't the best for my taste and these speakers would sound better with a brighter amplifier. Either way, I am prepared to buy a new amp and speakers, so long as I like them the cost isn't that important without spending silly money.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
In all honesty, it sounds like the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 are what you are looking for.

I think I would be hard pressed to suggest a speaker with similar characteristics to the Bronze, but were not the Bronze.

Peter Tyson may have some of the previous Bronze BX2 are very attractive prices -

Monitor Audio BX2

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

About HALF the price of the new Bronze 2.

Taking it one step higher in Monitor Audio Bookshelf speakers are the Silver 2, but at a considerable £500/pr -

Monitor Audio Silver 1

I'm not sure how big your room is or what the acoustics are like, but Peter Tyson also has the Monitor Audio BX floorstanding speakers at decent prices -

Monitor Audio BX5

Monitor Audio BX6

Being on Close-Out, you are limited in the finishes available The BX5 in Black is £350/pr and the BX5 in Walnut are £399/pr. These are £500/pr speakers.

Here are the BRONZE 5 and the BRONZE 6 for comparison -

Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Monitor Audio Bronze 6

In Focal you should probably looking at the 800 series or the new 900 series. I have not found the Focal I've heard to be laid back or recessed. If found them very present and slightly forward. Though I've not heard the 700 series.

The Aria 906 are pushing your budget, or what I am assuming is your budget.

Focal Aria 906 - Ex Demonstration

Focal Aria 906

Though I don't have a source, there might still be some Focal Chorus 800 series speakers around.

Though not really getting a lot of press, at least consider the Dali Opticon, series -

Dali Opticon 2 Bookshelf Speakers

Dali Opticon 6 Floorstanding Speakers

Though very hard since they are now discontinued, it is possible to find the Dali IKON models -

Dali Ikon 1 MK2 Speakers

Dali Ikon 5 MK2 Speakers

Creative Audio - Dali IKON 5 (£579)

If you like the Bronze, but think you can spend a bit more money, then certainly give a listen to the Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

ne5

Novice Member
In all honesty, it sounds like the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 are what you are looking for.

I think I would be hard pressed to suggest a speaker with similar characteristics to the Bronze, but were not the Bronze.

Peter Tyson may have some of the previous Bronze BX2 are very attractive prices -

Monitor Audio BX2

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

About HALF the price of the new Bronze 2.

Taking it one step higher in Monitor Audio Bookshelf speakers are the Silver 2, but at a considerable £500/pr -

Monitor Audio Silver 1

I'm not sure how big your room is or what the acoustics are like, but Peter Tyson also has the Monitor Audio BX floorstanding speakers at decent prices -

Monitor Audio BX5

Monitor Audio BX6

Being on Close-Out, you are limited in the finishes available The BX5 in Black is £350/pr and the BX5 in Walnut are £399/pr. These are £500/pr speakers.

Here are the BRONZE 5 and the BRONZE 6 for comparison -

Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Monitor Audio Bronze 6

In Focal you should probably looking at the 800 series or the new 900 series. I have not found the Focal I've heard to be laid back or recessed. If found them very present and slightly forward. Though I've not heard the 700 series.

The Aria 906 are pushing your budget, or what I am assuming is your budget.

Focal Aria 906 - Ex Demonstration

Focal Aria 906

Though I don't have a source, there might still be some Focal Chorus 800 series speakers around.

Though not really getting a lot of press, at least consider the Dali Opticon, series -

Dali Opticon 2 Bookshelf Speakers

Dali Opticon 6 Floorstanding Speakers

Though very hard since they are now discontinued, it is possible to find the Dali IKON models -

Dali Ikon 1 MK2 Speakers

Dali Ikon 5 MK2 Speakers

Creative Audio - Dali IKON 5 (£579)

If you like the Bronze, but think you can spend a bit more money, then certainly give a listen to the Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

I listen to.60s 70s and 80s rock and pop. I hate bass overpowering and taking the sparkle out of pop.music. The focals do that for me. My living room is 14x11 the speakers would be on.stands in a bay window not close to the walls or windows but I can move them.

I'm also considering tannoy mercury v1 speakers.

ti33er

Linn 109 Majik are fantastic little all-rounders...which need a Subwoofer (or two) to get the lower octave of Bass, which you do t seem to care for ;-)

Very musical and seen £500'ish used ...!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom