1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker and amp protection query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Nov 6, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    befor a/v cinema amps became so common, you would have l&r main speakers,+amp +cd/tt/etc, and generally when playing music the recording (itself) the volume would not rise and fall a great deal, (classical and early genisis re foxtrot) can be quite then loud, when it comes to dvds ie u571,the haunting,etc the sound is quite then increases to much larger volumes , my 3802 has some kind of (protection circuit built in ) but what does this protect amp or speakers, if amp only what protects the (speakers from being damaged ie tweeters/crossoversetc) i am talking about having amp master volume at a sensible volume setting, always wondered about 2 chan as against dvd volume ,thank you all

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The amplifier will shut down if it overheats or if there is a short circuit thereby protecting itself.

Speakers can be blown if the amplifier is being driven too hard (usually an underpowered amp trying to drive 4 ohms, or less, speakers) and is then forced into "clipping" which causes distortion and then fries the speakers (usually the tweeters). The speakers try to draw more power than the amp can produce.

I believe some amps have anti-clipping circuits though.

Dvd playback is very dynamic, very low volume jumping to very high volume for explosions etc. Your Denon will cope well enough with them though.:)

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks jase, just my query ,even if using amp thats powerfull enough to "drive) speakers ,what if anything "protects"speakers from the (high and low of dvd volume) my last speakers had a fuse in them to protect against overload,etc my new speakers have not????

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Not sure about the actual speakers to be honest Mick. If your B&W´s have something in them, then maybe some manufacturers incorporate protection circuits and others don´t. Obviously the power ratings will give you an idea of what the speakers are capable of handling e.g 10-150 watts etc.

Dvds tend to be short bursts/peaks of sound rather than one continuously loud noise, decent speakers should be able to cope with pretty much whatever is thrown at them, within reason.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hardly any speaker has any protection in the same way as anti-clipping circuits are rather seldom found on amps.

The best protection is yourself: don't exaggerate and the moment you hear any distortion lower the volume immediately.

Small correction re clipping: it's not because the speaker draws more current but because the amp will try to amplify to a level where the signal (voltage) will take a rectangular shape rather than a sine wave (music is basically an AC signal).
    The more "rectangular" it becomes the closer you get to a DC signal - and that will 'kill' most speakers.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    :blush: Thanks for the correction Reiner.:)

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks all , just that i saw a thread on another forum where someone had managed to (fry) there tweeters 3 times, i just make sure dvd volume is not at to high levels