1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker/amp suggestions with £1200?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dan110, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody got any suggestions of speaker and receiver setups with a budget of around £1100-£1200 to go in a 13ft x 9ft room. The room is empty apart from 42'' tosh rptv, sofa and blind. Not really got the chance to get many demos, just interested to hear what is recommended then I will try and have a listen before I buy. I have been thinking about the following setups but any input or other suggestions would be welcome.

Kef kht 2005 eggs Cost £700ish

Mission M74, M7C1 & M7DS + rel q150e or Velodyne £950ish total

B&W 603, 601 & LCR60 £1000ish total

Gallo's possibly but not all at once

For amp/receiver duties, probably going to be looking at Yamaha RXv 630, Marantz 5200 possibly Denon 3802 depending on how much the speakers cost any other suggestions. Not afraid to go down the second hand route either for some quality equipment.

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    You could also consider the Kef Q1´s (3 pairs) but also with the Velodyne CHT10 sub, though that doesn´t leave you a huge amount for an amp/receiver. Maybe a Denon 2802 if you shop around for decent prices on the Kefs.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on the 2nd hand Hardware/Classifieds Forum, some good stuff pops up there from time to time.:)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109

B&W 603's WILL boom in an empty room. Beware. Lovely speakers tho'.

Eggs not so good for music, if that matters to you. Kef sub also can be bettered.

If you go for REL or Velodyne, you don't need to M74's, the M73's are sweeter sounding and will tend to boom less, particularly in an empty room. Also try Mission M7C2 centre, it intergrates better with the floorstanders.

Also see Wharfedale Diamond 8 Cinema Range which are as good as the Missions, as long as you have no WAF issues. Mine won't have yellow cones in her living-room
    :rolleyes:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unless Mr Whippy's inside :)

5. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same budget as you and went for the £600 KEF Eggs (see earlier posts in thread started by JampoTT about where the cheapest place to get them is) and a Denon AVR-3802 from Richer Sounds for £600.

Of course I did not budget for speaker cable and the £70 front stands for the eggs :confused:

I am picking up the eggs tomorrow.

phoTToniq

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why not get 601's front and back (remember stands for each) and then you'll have cash left over for a nice little sub:)