speaker/amp set up for hddvd?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taf1970, May 2, 2007.

1. taf1970

taf1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, when i'm in the position to get hddvd i'll need to get set up with a new speaker set up. i'd obviously like to get some more 5.1 speakers for it. are there 5.1 speaker setups out there that i wouldn't have to buy an additional reciever or amp for. i know that there are for pc's but not sure about dvd set up, as my current samsung dvd is an all in one, with the amp in the dvd and not the speakers.:confused:

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,594
    If you want access to the next-gen sound formats from HD DVD you'll need a receiver that can accept either audio over HDMI or 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs. This will allow you to enjoy TrueHD sound!

Of course DD+ also sounds great using a digital connection into an amp.

I'm not sure of any all-in-one speaker packages for this purpose only. Perhaps others can help?

3. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I don't know what you actually have now, but if your DVD player is combined with an amplifier, then I'm guessing it could be a 5.1 channel setup (DVD supports 5.1).

If that Samsung includes 5.1 channels, and you already have a set of speakers with it. then you may already be covered (presuming the Samsung has a Toslink digital audio input available). Pick up an E1 and you're there!

If the Samsung is only stereo, then you'll need a new receiver, but your choice depends on budget requirements. It would be nice to pick up an HDMI receiver, but it's not necessary in order to get very good sound (it IS necessary for BEST sound). If you currently have just two speakers, then you can either fiil in the gaps, or replace everything if that's your wish -- again a matter of budget.

Two keep cost minimal, I'd suggest looking for a good sounding affordably priced receiver: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Appropriate speakers to fill in existing gaps: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And possibly a subwoofer if that doesn't upset the neighbors :) http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

In the U.S., there's something referred to as "Home Theater In A Box" where one can purchase an entire 5.1 receiver and speaker setup in a fairly compact package. This might make sense if you don't wish to pick out individual items, and should be available at department style electronics stores.

However, if I were you, I'd try asking some questions on the above referenced forums and see what you can find out. Tell people what you have, what you have in mind, and see what ideas show up -- also look around both online and in stores.

Good luck!