Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker/Amp problems - HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by electrify_dizz, Jun 14, 2003.

1. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Today I went to Richer sounds, and finally took the plunge - I bought a Marrantz SR4300.

About a fortnight ago, i sampled it - worked perfectly. Ive now got it home, and have found my speakers (Eltax liberty 5+) have 4 cable points each, and the Marrantz only has 4 in total - an obvious incompatibility, which the store convieniently forgot to mention.

Is there any way I can get around this? Ive had the speakers over a year now, so theres no way I can return them - instead I will have to return the rear speakers and amp!!

If anyone knows a quick fix - HELP!!!!!! Thanks!!

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Each speaker should have 2 red and 2 black terminals ... there are 2 of each to allow you to bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers. On your amp, the left and right channels should have 1 black and 1 red terminal.

Normally speakers come with little metal "shunts" between the 2 red and the 2 black terminals. You then just need to connect a single pair of wire to each speaker - one to black, one to red.

If the shunts are missing ... you have 2 options. Either you can use 2 runs of cable to each speaker, connecting both "red" wires to the one red terminal and both "black" to the one black terminal on the back of the amp. This is known as bi-wiring (or full length bi-wiring).

The alternative is to take 2 short pieces of speaker cable - as short as is practical - and use one to connect the 2 black terminals together, and the other to connect the 2 red terminals together. Then you just need to connect a single pair of cables between amp and the speakers - one to black at each end and one to red at each end.

Hope this helps ... if you need any more help / clarification just ask.

Vikki

3. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot Vikki - I understand completely!!!! I was worried for a while!!!