Speaker advise for a newcomer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slappy McGee, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Denon AVR-X2000 receiver and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers/subwoofer. The Energy set will be used until I am able to purchase a more capable set of speakers. I would like to ask for suggestions on front and center speakers, and should I replace my sub/surround/rear speakers (when I get new fronts and a center) or keep them as the Energies. I have limited room so I would only be able to fit bookshelf speakers.Thank you for your time and advise in advance.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    What would your budget be. To be honest you would have been better spending your money on the front pair that you intend to get now instead of buying the energies and then adding the rest later as funds allow instead of wasting money on cheap speakers you intend to change soon.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Also where are you? Energy Take Classic speaker are as rare as hen's teeth in the EU/UK, which makes me thing you are somewhere else.

What we would recommend hinges on how much space you have, how much money you have, and how the system will be used.

We are a few details short of being able to make any recommendations.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the US, I know this I a UK forum but thought I would try it. I like to watch movies and do some gaming on PS3 (sometimes Xbox360). As for budget, I don't know what a good speaker goes for. I was looking at the Polk Si series or Klipsch Synergy series speakers/ center (some will probably say those are cheap but I don't know). I also like to listen to most of my media on a lower/ mid level but am have trouble doing this right now. I need to turn my receiver up a third of the way(at least) to hear everything. Would this be because of bad setup, the speakers or something else.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    You seem to be looking at small Satellite speakers. If this is pure movies and gaming, Satellite should be fine. However, the more dominant music is in your listening habits, the more I recommend going to at least standard bookshelf speakers.

The Energy Take Classic would be somewhere in between. They are slightly on the large side for a Satellite speaker, but slightly on the small side for a bookshelf speaker. From what I've read the Energy Take Classic are very good for the modest price they cost. So, good choice there.

But, there is little point in going for more small speakers. A larger speaker will give more weight and impact to the sound simply by virtue of pushing more air. However, a bigger worse speaker is not the solution, size for the sake of size means little. You have to take a step up in both Quality and Size.

If you are in the USA, Polk Audio has their own EBay site where they are selling off surplus speakers. You can get some great bargains direct from the manufacture.

PolkAudio in Consumer Electronics > TV, Video & Home Audio| eBay

Harmon Audio also have their own Ebay site (Harman Kardon, JBL, Revel, Infinity, ...) -

HarmanAudio in Consumer Electronics > TV, Video & Home Audio| eBay

What is available tends to change with inventory, but you can get some real bargains.

For example -

CS1 Cherry Series II Center Channel Speaker Polk Audio Each New 047192110612 | eBay

TSI100 Cherry Bookshelf Rear Speakers Polk Audio Pair 047192114900 | eBay

TSI300 Black Tower Speakers Polk Audio Pair 747192114947 | eBay

Monitor 70 Black Tower Speakers Polk Audio Pair 047192110582 | eBay

Other sources in the USA -

crutchfield.com

abt.com

frys.com

BestBuy.com

For more expensive gear try -

MusicDirect.com

AudioAdvisor.com

NeedleDoctor.com

It is much easier to find bundle 5.1 speaker packages in the UK, but in the USA, typically you only find small Satellite systems bundled. From the sites above, you will have to look in Bookshelf, Center speakers, and possibly Subwoofers, and build your own system from components.

In the end, it will get down to the budget you have when you are ready for the upgrade. Until then, the Energy Take Classics are highly rated in their price range and should do a very good job for you. Also, if you like the ENERGY speakers, consider some of their larger speakers. I heard some modest sized floorstanding, and they were as crisp and clear as anyone could hope for. Not heavy on bass, but then I didn't expect them to be, and in a 5.1 system with a Sub, the Sub does all the heavy lifting.

Home Theater Magazine reviewed them and moved them into their Recommended Components List -

Energy Take Classic Speaker System | Home Theater

So, until you are ready to upgrade, you've got a pretty good system.

Steve/bluewizard

6. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you BlueWizard for the lengthy reply, it is much appreciated.