1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TimD, Dec 17, 2002.

1. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've currenty got a pair of KEF Q50s for the front main speakers, a KEF model 90 centre speaker, and a pair of Rock Solid Teams for the rears.

I want to upgrade things gradually over the coming year...

The first thing I was thinking of doing was to add an MJ Acoustics Pro50 sub, as the Q50s don't provide too much bass.

After that, my idea is to replace the rears, then the fronts with KEF eggs.

I'd quite like to hang on to the model 90 centre; would it go with the eggs, or should I replace that with an egg as well?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Hi

How about some Kef Q1´s instead of the Eggs? They´ll work well with the Model 90 Centre and sound much better than the Eggs.

Never heard the MJ Acoustics sub, so can´t comment on that. Also worth having a look at the Velodyne Power Buys on this Forum or keep an eye on the Hardware/Classifieds Forum as a few decent subs appear from time to time.:)

3. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd like to, but they're almost twice the size of the eggs.

My room is not that large, and my wife is keen to get rid of the Q50 floorstanders. I think a true sub/sat system is needed...

4. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimD

I recently purchased a set of Q35.2's floorstanders and had the problem of matching a centre. I tried an egg and IMHO, petrolhead will back me up on this, it was awful. There was no tonal match depth etc etc. I finally ended up witha Q95.2C and it sounds excellent and would now not change the front unless it was with something equally as powerful (Q1's a minimum).

I have also tried the sub/sat route using a set of Elac Cinema Sat 1's and my psw1000. They sounded quite good very bright and quite musical but obviously with very little depth or bass, luckily this was in part handled by the sub.

I don't have a praticularly big room and the other 'arf wasn't overly impressed with the floorstanders, at first! What a difference though when playing both HC and 2CH.

If you are going to change go for a complete set of eggs, IMHO, otherwise I personally think you will be dissapointed, especially across the front soundstage.

Hope it helps :)

7ThGuest

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I second that.

I have also upgraded from MA Babies to full Kef lineup.

What was I thinking about, should have gone this route earlier.

Stick with what u got, sounds good. Get the Q8s for surrounds and enjoy full rich sound.