• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker advice

oldgravy

Standard Member
Current System:

Sony DVP-9000ES DVD Player
Sony KV-32NX100U idTV
Sony SLV-X9 Video
Pioneer VSA-AX10 Amplifier
Mission FS2-AV Speaker package

I recently upgraded my amp and, while I'm delighted with the result, appreciate that I'm probably not doing the Pioneer justice with the Missions. I would also like to add a couple of rear surrounds to the set up. Can anyone suggest a decent speaker package or components? My living room is large with high ceilings.

I have up to £3k to spend but another significant factor is the look and size of the speakers. My girlfriend only allowed the Missions to be installed because of the look on the FS2 stands! I notice on the Mission website that the 'ultimate' configuration would be to double up on the FS2s. My amp would cope with this but has anyone tried it? The new Celestion Soundstyle Floorstanders and satellites have also met with approval - anyone tried these out?

I am a home cinema enthusiast but by no means an expert so would be most grateful for any thoughts or advice.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi

With that sort of budget I´d be looking at an M&K speaker setup, something like the S85´s (or the Professional equivalents) all round, topped off with a decent subwoofer such as one of the Velodynes in the Power Buys Forum. The S85´s are smallish bookshelf speakers, details here S85

Certainly worth considering. :)

GJC

Jase,

Ideal Sonic choice but not appropriate for 'Oldgravy'. He wants a good looking package so that the wife is happy.

I have seen the Celestians and they look amazing. Very modern and trendy.

also,

B&W s3 Range is very pleasing to the eye and has had excellent reveiws.

Buns-
He will need more than 3k to bribe her with when she see's M&K Black Boxes everywhere!!!

-----------

GJC

oldgravy

Standard Member
Thanks for responding guys.

Have done some research and am sold on the M&K approach. Now just have to persuade the ol' lady!

Does anyone know if any more of the M&K pro range is to feature in future power buys? Would be v. interested.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom