1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by moshea, Mar 26, 2002.

1. moshea

moshea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having just recently moved I decided to upgrade my av kit.

I bought a Denon 3802 to replace my Yamaha DSP2070.

My current speakers are
    Kef Q35.1's (main)
    Gale Centre 1
    Mission 73's (surround)
    Sony SW1-01 Subwoofer

Our new sitting room is a lot bigger (25 ft by 15 ft), and even with the old amp, I found that just having the TV in the center of a wall, rather than in a corner made a huge difference.

The previous owners left behind a Philips 46" IDTV RP Television, which is recessed into a custom built unit. Above the the TV there is a shelf for the center speaker of only 200mm * 480mm (which is why I'm currently using the Gale rather than the Mission 75c I was using).

At the right and left of the unit (about 5 feet either side of the TV) there are presses with grill style doors to take Floorstanding speakers (up to about 800 mm i think).

I'm delighted with my new amp, but can help but feel that it is being held back somewhat by these speakers. At a minimum I think I should buy a new center, something which matches the Q35's a bit better (I dont think the 75c was ever a particularly good match but didnt really notice in the smaller room).

I find that the sound is fine when watching movies, but feels that it lacks something when I'm listening to music. So I'm also considering just replacing all the speakers with a set (maybe something like the Mission Cinema 8 pack).

So given a budget of 1000 to 1500, what would you suggest I do with regards upgrading some/all of my speakers to get the best from my system.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most floorstanders like space behind them to give of their best and don't like being confined so make sure that anything you buy isn't rear ported.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,183
    that was nice of them.....

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Hi

If you´re looking to keep the Kef Q35´s then consider the Kef Model 100 centre (much better than the Q95 centre) a pair (or 2 pairs if you want 7.1) of Q15´s for surround duties and a Rel subwoofer.

Or if you want to change the lot have a look at the M&K K series sub/sat system.

The Kefs are available at discounted prices now as they have been replaced by newer models (you could look at those as well).

cheers

5. moshea

moshea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've seen some good reviews for different sub/sat systems, but can't shake the feeling that a sub/sat system isnt the best approach for a big room.

Are sub/sat systems typically used in smaller rooms or can they cope in bigger rooms as well ?

Generally, will a sub/sat system be outperformed by a floorstanding setup or an equivalent price?

Michael

6. moshea

moshea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the cabinets aren't a good idea .... but domestic bliss means that they're there to stay..

By rear-ported, does this mean that there are holes in the back of the speaker box or something else?

Michael

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Depends on the sub/sat system.

Some of the cheaper systems may struggle to fill a large room with sound but any of the kit I´ve mentioned will be more than enough for your room. Most people wont be running their systems at maximum anyway (you might get the odd (deaf!!) one).

All M&K speaker systems are in effect sat/sub, even their very high end systems.

THX systems are all sat/sub as well.

The floorstanders vs Sat/Sub is a subjective argument, some will say floorstanders (with a sub as well) will outperform a sat/sub package, others will say the opposite.

You really need to demo different equipment (in your own home if possible) and go with what you think is best.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is similar size of yours, and I use monitor size speakers with good subwoofers.

Floorstanders are always worst than monitor size of the same price, and harder to place, as long as you have a good subwoofer...