Speaker advice required

Okay so I've connected the TV to the Denon with an optical cable connected to TV Audio in (1) and the HDMI cable into HDMI (e)ARC Monitor 1 and I've set the TV audio out to HDMI sound system (Denon) and set the input to auto in the Denon but I'm not sure if the Denon is using eArc HDMI or Optical although I'm presuming optical since the input is set to 'auto'.

So far so good no drop outs yet.

Okay so I've connected the TV to the Denon with an optical cable connected to TV Audio in (1) and the HDMI cable into HDMI (e)ARC Monitor 1 and I've set the TV audio out to HDMI sound system (Denon) and set the input to auto in the Denon but I'm not sure if the Denon is using eArc HDMI or Optical although I'm presuming optical since the input is set to 'auto'.

So far so good no drop outs yet.

This will, at the very least, tell us if the root cause of the issue is indeed ARC, which I suspect it is.

If you really wanted to use ARC, another thing to try would be switching everything off at the wall for a minute or so to see if that cures it.

But if its only freeview viewing from the TV, if optical works then case closed I say! :)

I had issues with e-arc, LG c9.and tonewinner at-300..drop out and clicks..sorted with direct into tonewinner..so ditch arc/e-arc if possible

We've had BBC 2HD on for a good half an hour and no audio dropouts.

According to the Denon online manual if the display is showing DIG (it is) then the audio is coming from the optical input.
image.jpg

There's probably manual input selection so I'd select optical manually rather than auto.

There's probably manual input selection so I'd select optical manually rather than auto.

Thanks, still no dropouts on BBC2 HD.

Looking good:smashin:

We had drop outs on Chanel 4HD earlier on tonight so I selected 'digital' rather than 'auto' as above and so far so good, that's been about an hour now and no audio drop outs.

Can I just continue using the optical/digital ie non HDMI audio set up now even when we're watching 4K stuff on ATV 4K, Disney +, Amazon Prime or even blueray movies with a Panasonic bluray player?

Thanks

Tony

Just had a dropout for like, literally, a second on Ch4 HD apart from that no issues yet.

Just had a dropout for like, literally, a second on Ch4 HD apart from that no issues yet.
Ch4 does suffer from the occasional dropout, I've had both on optical from my TV and HDMI from SkyQ. I've no idea why and have put it down to broadcast faults. Your photo shows optical to be working, you can also check by pressing the info button on the remote.

Thanks, still no dropouts on BBC2 HD.

Looking good:smashin:

We had drop outs on Chanel 4HD earlier on tonight so I selected 'digital' rather than 'auto' as above and so far so good, that's been about an hour now and no audio drop outs.

Can I just continue using the optical/digital ie non HDMI audio set up now even when we're watching 4K stuff on ATV 4K, Disney +, Amazon Prime or even blueray movies with a Panasonic bluray player?

Thanks

Tony
Are all of those sources plugged into the AVR?

Are all of those sources plugged into the AVR?

Aye there's only the ATV and the Tv plugged into the Denon and a TT and a tuner aerial for FM.

Had three audio drop outs tonight watching three episodes of This is Going to Hurt on BBC iPlayer, really annoying you have to restart the iPlayer to get the sound back.

I might try BBC iPlayer with Denon re-set to auto input rather than digital and see if that cures it otherwise I think I'll do a reset of both the Denon and the TV.

I'll also need to watch a movie on ATV/Amazon etc to see if there's issues there too.

Thanks again for the help and advice guys.

Tony

Last edited:
Hi guys, another update for those not losing the will to live:D

Okay so I received three new speakers yesterday, THX monoprice speakers, a new centre and two new bookshelves, and installed those speakers in the system but as it was just a swap for the existing three speakers so I didn’t run Audyessy again but I did go back into the audio settings in the DENON and selected the input as HDMI rather than digital and we watched the same BBC series that we had watched the previous evening only this time we watched on the BBC iPlayer on ATV 4k rather than on Android home on the Philips TV so anyway we watched another three episodes and not a single audio drop out plus when I was setting up the speakers I watched some movies in my iTunes Store library, notably the new bond movie, on ATV 4K too and again no audio dropout.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
You’re going to have to run Audessy again for your new speakers. There’s more to the room correction than just the location of any given speaker. Cabinet size, driver, crossovers etc all play a part.

Is the ATV plugged into the TV? You said yesterday it was into the AVR? Anyway, sounds like ARC is working again for now. You have a backup in place if it starts being problematic again.

You’re going to have to run Audessy again for your new speakers. There’s more to the room correction than just the location of any given speaker. Cabinet size, driver, crossovers etc all play a part.

Is the ATV plugged into the TV? You said yesterday it was into the AVR? Anyway, sounds like ARC is working again for now. You have a backup in place if it starts being problematic again.

Hi Mike, aye the ATV is plugged into the Denon, yes I’ll run audusey again as my new speakers have atmos drivers in the top of them plus I’m going to try the Elacs out as rears until they sell as I’ve got them up for sale.

Kind regards

Tony

Ah, that means you didn't have drop outs because you weren’t using ARC last night. I thought for a second there the ATV was plugged into the TV and you reverted back to ARC.

I would leave the ARC setting on digital to avoid drop outs when watching terrestrial TV, you don’t need to change it for any of the inputs on the amp (ATV for example) as they have their own audio in settings.

Ah, that means you didn't have drop outs because you weren’t using ARC last night. I thought for a second there the ATV was plugged into the TV and you reverted back to ARC.

I would leave the ARC setting on digital to avoid drop outs when watching terrestrial TV, you don’t need to change it for any of the inputs on the amp (ATV for example) as they have their own audio in settings.

Hi guys, I'm still getting audio dropouts on Freeview channels mainly the HD channels all of them in fact so much so that we've basically stopped watching Freeview 'antenna' channels these last few weeks.

I'm still using the HDMI from the TV to the Denon I have an optical cable connected but haven't switched optical on cause I can't be bothered switching the sound settings back and forth when using the ATV 4K apps/movies etc.

The problem only happened after I installed a centre speaker and rerun Audyessy.

I never had this issue when I had a Yamaha Stereo reciever connected to the previous TV which was an old Panasonic plasma and with the current TV which is a Phillips 65OLED706 and neither was there ever any problem using the first generation ATV or the most recent ATV 4K (21).

Also the Denon worked perfectly fine before the centre channel speaker update.

Really frustrating this issue especially for my wife who does like to watch the Freeview HD channels.

Thanks

Tony

Hi guys, I'm still getting audio dropouts on Freeview channels mainly the HD channels all of them in fact so much so that we've basically stopped watching Freeview 'antenna' channels these last few weeks.

I'm still using the HDMI from the TV to the Denon I have an optical cable connected but haven't switched optical on cause I can't be bothered switching the sound settings back and forth when using the ATV 4K apps/movies etc.

The problem only happened after I installed a centre speaker and rerun Audyessy.

I never had this issue when I had a Yamaha Stereo reciever connected to the previous TV which was an old Panasonic plasma and with the current TV which is a Phillips 65OLED706 and neither was there ever any problem using the first generation ATV or the most recent ATV 4K (21).

Also the Denon worked perfectly fine before the centre channel speaker update.

Really frustrating this issue especially for my wife who does like to watch the Freeview HD channels.

Thanks

Tony
As has been explained, you’re experiencing these drop outs because you’re using ARC. It’s a flakey nightmare. You could try unplugging everything for a while and see if that cures it, but the best thing to do is route the audio from the TV to the amp via optical.

Everything else should be directly plugged into your amp, so the TV optical settings don’t matter.

I assume the TV and amp firmware are up to date too?

I assume the TV and amp firmware are up to date too?

Aye all up to date.

What I don’t understand is why has this issue suddenly manifested itself when before the centre speaker install everything worked fine with the exception of the ATV 4k blackouts with an external Blu-ray player installed however that particular problem only happened once and stopped when I removed the Blu-ray player and the DENON wasn’t part of the system then.

Thanks

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom