Speaker advice required

I'm still losing audio in Freeview HD channels ie BB1, 2, 4 ITV, Channel four and five.

There's a 'click' then the sound/audio switches off but there's still video/live TV however if I switch channels then the audio is present on, say BBC1, I then switch back to whichever channel I lost audio in and the audio is back on that channel but that 'switch' noise happens again and I lose audio again.

This only happens on Freeview channels and it didn't happen before I installed the centre speaker yesterday and re-setup Audussy.

I'm wondering if it's to do with me setting the AVR switch on power on level to about 37db I did this because when I switched on the radio in the Denon in the morning it started at pretty loud volume, too loud for early morning, so I altered the setting.

Tony

I'm still losing audio in Freeview HD channels ie BB1, 2, 4 ITV, Channel four and five.

There's a 'click' then the sound/audio switches off but there's still video/live TV however if I switch channels then the audio is present on, say BBC1, I then switch back to whichever channel I lost audio in and the audio is back on that channel but that 'switch' noise happens again and I lose audio again.

This only happens on Freeview channels and it didn't happen before I installed the centre speaker yesterday and re-setup Audussy.

I'm wondering if it's to do with me setting the AVR switch on power on level to about 37db I did this because when I switched on the radio in the Denon in the morning it started at pretty loud volume, too loud for early morning, so I altered the setting.

Tony
Do yo have ECO mode set to either Auto or on? If so turn it off.

Edit to set it to off - Press the green eco button on the Denon remote.

Tony
When you bought the Denon did you do a factory reset before you set it up. I'm not saying this will fix your issue but its good practice incase the previous owner had set something specific for their setup. I think your issue could be ARC related, is your TV ARC or eARC?

When you bought the Denon did you do a factory reset before you set it up. I'm not saying this will fix your issue but its good practice incase the previous owner had set something specific for their setup. I think your issue could be ARC related, is your TV ARC or eARC?

Hi David, I never did a factory reset when I got the reciever, eArc, it's a Philips 65OLED706.

This issue only started yesterday prior to that the sound and video have been perfect except for the issue I had with a dodgy HDMI cable crashing the ATV 4k but that's sorted now.

Think I'll post details this issue in the 4500 owners thread.

Thanks

Tony

For the record deck you'll always want to use direct or pure direct. You don't want ADC, processing then dac.

Pretty cool the denons have 2ch preset, so in effect you have three possible crossovers

Direct/pure direct- l/r are full range. No sub
2ch preset - small 60hz with 60hz sub setting
Main setting - small 80hz all round with 120hz sub

Do yo have ECO mode set to either Auto or on? If so turn it off.

Edit to set it to off - Press the green eco button on the Denon remote.

Looks like that eco button was causing the TV audio dropouts it was on so I switched it off on the remote as above.

Thanks

Tony

Edit still doing it:(

Last edited:
Looks like that eco button was causing the TV audio dropouts it was on so I switched it off on the remote as above.

Thanks

Tony

Edit still doing it:(
Glad it solved the issue.

For reference, the clicks you heard at higher volume levels are relays which engage to bring the amps of the AVR "out of eco mode"

Glad it solved the issue.

For reference, the clicks you heard at higher volume levels are relays which engage to bring the amps of the AVR "out of eco mode"

No ,it's doing again it's pain in the @rse to be honest although in saying that we don't really watch a lot of terrestrial TV these days but still...

I have BBC 2 HD on just to test and I lost audio after about ten minutes, switched to BBC1 HD which had sound then switched back to BBC2 HD no sound switch back again to BBC1 HD and back to 2 which had sound then about two minutes later sound disappeared again for seconds and then came back on and it's still on now.

No ,it's doing again it's pain in the @rse to be honest although in saying that we don't really watch a lot of terrestrial TV these days but still...

I have BBC 2 HD on just to test and I lost audio after about ten minutes, switched to BBC1 HD which had sound then switched back to BBC2 HD no sound switch back again to BBC1 HD and back to 2 which had sound then about two minutes later sound disappeared again for seconds and then came back on and it's still on now.
As you only have the drop outs when watching TV I would suspect the source to be the problem. How are you passing the audio to the TV? ARC? Optical? Investigate the TV sound settings first, is there a setting in the TV sound menu for an AVR? For example my Panasonic speaker setting is set to Home Cinema.

Also, has your aerial moved in the storms? Are you receiving a strong signal?

On a side note, I did chuckle when I seen you inadvertently tagged another member while trying to bypass the forum swear filter :rotfl:

The wiring from my TV was pretty "permanent" aka a major pain in the ar53 to change, so I purposefully put in an optical as well as the HDMI.

Assume you have something in wall with a trunk connecting to TV, would you be able to bung an optical in there?

Sorry, not fixing your current situation, I'm just talking long term. It seems quite common people have eARC/ARC issues on here, so that's why it's a nice (and very thin cable) back up to use when issues come up.

As you only have the drop outs when watching TV I would suspect the source to be the problem. How are you passing the audio to the TV? ARC? Optical? Investigate the TV sound settings first, is there a setting in the TV sound menu for an AVR? For example my Panasonic speaker setting is set to Home Cinema.

Also, has your aerial moved in the storms? Are you receiving a strong signal?

On a side note, I did chuckle when I seen you inadvertently tagged another member while trying to bypass the forum swear filter :rotfl:

Thanks, possibly it is the source or the external aerial is either faulty or has moved etc but TV video signals are excellent however I'll switch off the audio output to the AVR and just use the TV speakers to see if the problems remains which will narrow it down a bit.

The TV is connected to HDMI in-Monitor 1 (eArc) on the Denon and at eArc on the TV ie HDMI 2 the ATV 4K (21) is connected to HDMI input number 5 (media player) on the Denon.

The TV sound settings are set to eArc>automatic and multichannel bypass. F55FB870-9FB2-4670-A9D4-B4DD8DE8CB8D.jpeg4B682EFC-785E-41AA-B43D-F02740783D03.jpegA5FE430D-22B7-414D-936F-B7E8C024D590.jpeg

Thanks, possibly it is the source or the external aerial is either faulty or has moved etc but TV video signals are excellent however I'll switch off the audio output to the AVR and just use the TV speakers to see if the problems remains which will narrow it down a bit.

The TV is connected to HDMI in-Monitor 1 (eArc) on the Denon and at eArc on the TV ie HDMI 2 the ATV 4K (21) is connected to HDMI input number 5 (media player) on the Denon.

The TV sound settings are set to eArc>automatic and multichannel bypass.View attachment 1650113View attachment 1650115View attachment 1650118
As @Dobbyisfree suggested, try an optical cable between the TV and AVR. ARC really can be a pain in the bottom.

The wiring from my TV was pretty "permanent" aka a major pain in the ar53 to change, so I purposefully put in an optical as well as the HDMI.

Assume you have something in wall with a trunk connecting to TV, would you be able to bung an optical in there?

Sorry, not fixing your current situation, I'm just talking long term. It seems quite common people have eARC/ARC issues on here, so that's why it's a nice (and very thin cable) back up to use when issues come up.

Thanks, yes I've a digital optical cable in the wall too, I'd actually forgot about that cable only spotted at the weekend one end was connected to the TV's optical out port but it's not connected to the Denon at the other end but I've since removed it from the TV.

Another update guys for anyone interested in this sound issue.

After a lot of audio drop outs last night on Freeview Channel 4HD (my wife was watching some cookery programme) I set the TV sound output to TV speakers effectively shutting down the Denon and no audio drop outs at all with the TV speakers.

I then switched on Disney + via ATV 4K and reset the TV audio output to HDMI sound system aka the Denon and absolutely no sound issues on that either so the problem may well be the eArc from the TV to the Denon but why it only affects the HD TV signal audio I've no idea.

Thanks

Tony

Out of interest, do you have HDMI CEC control enabled?

Have you tested yet with the optical cable?

Thanks, no to both, I don’t know what HDMI CEC is to be honest?

Regarding the optical cable I presume that I still connect the TV to the Denon via HDMI cable but change the sound output settings in the TV ?

Thanks, no to both, I don’t know what HDMI CEC is to be honest?

Regarding the optical cable I presume that I still connect the TV to the Denon via HDMI cable but change the sound output settings in the TV ?

No, you need to go into input assign settings on the Denon too and make sure that the correct optical input is selected for the TV audio.

I have mine as OPT1 like in this example table:

1644316743024.png

HDMI CEC basically allows the TV to turn the amp on and off. There may be more to it, I don’t use it personally, but I wondered if it was interfering with the audio.

Yes, change sound output on the TV and input on the AVR to match the digital input you are using at the back of the amp.

Thanks so I don’t need to connect the TV to the Denon with HDMI just connect them together with an optical cable?

I’ve reading about HDMI CEC so is it best to enable that in the TV, the Denon & the ATV?

In Phillips TVs HDMI CEC is labelled easy link.

Here’s a list for different TVs as it’s called differently with most manufacturers.

Thanks so I don’t need to connect the TV to the Denon with HDMI just connect them together with an optical cable?

I’ve reading about HDMI CEC so is it best to enable that in the TV, the Denon & the ATV?

Disable it all. Unless you need it for e-arc reasons

No you still use the HDMI to send video for your sources hooked up to the AVR.

I wouldn’t enable HDMI CEC personally, I just wondered if it was a cause of the drop outs.

All the optical lead does is takes audio from the TV to the AVR. And nothing else.

Note that it is limited as well and cannot carry as many different audio formats as the HDMI eARC can.

Dante01 has written all about this all over AVF, so just look it up if you're interested. I will not do, for example, DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. But we're talking about sound from your TVs broadcasts and apps, so I doubt any of them are in these formats or that your TV could output them anyway.

Thanks for the replies/advice guys.

The thing that I can't understand here is that everything worked fine up until Saturday, except that I had an issue with an HDMI cable causing the ATV 4K to crash if you tried to play certain movies with Atmos (I think) anyway that was resolved with a new 4k cable so essentially since re-running Audussey at the weekend I've now got an issues where I'm losing sound periodically on HD TV channels if I'm using the Denon for sound from the TV and so nothing else has changed, it's not the aerial or the TV or even the Denon but something's causing these audio drop outs on the HD Freeview channels.

Weird.

Wonder if Mr Google can shed any light on this issue.

Just contacted Freeview to see if there are any faults or work being done but there's nothing reported however I was advised to do a full retune of the Freeview channels on the TV so basically you remove the aerial and remove all stored channels then check there's no channels reinstall the aerial then do a new/re-install which I've done so we'll see.

I did do a google search for this issue and there's lots of reports of HD channels losing audio and having audio drops outs some of those reported faults go back to about 2006.

You're still getting drop outs over optical?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom