1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker advice- pls help- newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ewan, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    This is a cracking little package although some say that the subwoofer is a little underpowered. These speakers got a 5 star review when they cost £500. There's a review from just last month here in PDF format. If you can afford it, shop around and see if you can pick up the Premier Plus system as the subwoofer [309] in that package is far superior the 308 in the Premier system.

If you need more help regarding these speakers, do a search on the forum member Tons of fun. He is the main contact for Mordaunt Short and a very helpful chap :)

3. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for the reply:cool: What tpye of speaker cable will I need for them?

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    One or two examples;

If you're on a tight budget, there's a half decent speaker cable here for only 80p per metre. If you have more money to spend, then either this or this would do for starters.
    For a subwoofer cable, you could consider one of these. If that's too long, the 3m one is £3.50 cheaper.

There's such a large range of different speaker and subwoofer cables on the market that it really comes down to what you can afford at the time. A general rule of thumb is to spend approximately 10% of your total HC system on cables and interconnects.

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    How does the PROFIGOLD PGC7254 speaker cable compare with QED Original for rear-speaker duties? I've got couple of Profigold interconnects already, and they seem pretty good.

Thanks,

Balders.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Not really familiar with the profigold stuff balders but I am a big fan of QED original as it sounds good, bends around obstructions and is really indestructable stuff. A great many MS staff have QED original for rear speaker duties. Incidentally, I've just been playing with a sort of "super premiere" system of 4xMS902's, 2xMS905's and an MS909- not the sort of of layout we generally recommend but it has just had a cracking review in the states so we'd thought we'd give it a try.

7. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the QED original :)

8. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Don't tempt me :)
    How does that lot sound together? I have the 902's and a 905 as my front stage and I am very impressed with them. I did consider at the time to get 902's for the rear aswell but I don't have the space. I went for a pair of 302's instead. Is the 909 any good? I've only heard of the 308 and 309.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Pretty good :) (the amp is a Marantz SR8300) and I was suprised by the "eveness" of the sound as we never really intended the 909 to work with standmounts. There is stacks of detail and good tonal consistancy. I can't see our dealers going for it though.
    I like the 909 and so do a number of publications abroad (especially the germans who have given it two awards). It is suprisingly usable in smallish rooms as the notch filter we fitted for the THX pack is also installed here meaning that you can drive it pretty hard without getting much resonance from your room. I did have two in my living room at one point............

10. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that cable is fine mate a bit OTT as far as i think but no reason why not to get it.

12. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Sorry if this message is off-topic.

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Ewan,
    It is always worth remembering that cable doesn't really wear out (especially if it is properly terminated) so even if you spend a bit more than you intended, it will probably be good for an upgrade or two. My QED original has now been connected to 3 different set of rears and has moved house.