1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FaxFan2002, Sep 17, 2003.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Guys and Girls,

Recently upgrade my AMP to a denon 3803, which I am very happy with, however I think I may have outgrown my speaker setup which is follows:

FL: Bose Acousticmass 10 (series 2)
    C: Polk 250
    FR: Bose Acousticmass 10 (series 2)

SBR: Mission MD5
    SR: Bose..
    SL: Bose...
    SBL: Mission MD5

Active Sub: Yamaha YST-SW60

The bose speaker have there own passive sub. It all "seems" *ok* but I'm sure I'm missing out on better sound. Obiviously I can go and spend silly money - but someone could throw some suggestions as me I would be very grateful...

I suspect first port of call would be the active sub..?

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Hi, with the amp youve got there, your not doing it justice with those speakers IMO, missions are good but you would get better sound if all your rear speakers were mission, and the sound you would get up front from a £200 pair of standmounts or even floorstanders would easily beat the Bose.

Go have a look at RS , they have some real bargains there.
    Mission M71's for £49 i beleive, real bargain that, you could get two pairs and use the other for pair for rears to match up more with your existing missions.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Without trying to be rude I can't imagine your setup sounding good at all. You have a gross missmatch between the fronts and the centre speaker that ought to be obvious everytime a voice or sound pans across the front soundstage and the mixture of rears doesn't sound too encouraging either.

Much as I dislike Bose I am sure that a Bose centre would sound much better than the Polk in your system but failing that I would sell up and start again by buying matching speakers, perhaps from the classified ads here.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually surprised you tolerate your AV system, consider what your audio system is.

If I had your system I would buy a completely new speaker system- 5 speakers plus a new subwoofer.

There are quite a few subwoofer/sat systems around that excellent what you have at the moment.

Checkout M&K K-2's, Ruark Vita, Energy Take 5.1 etc.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I can only agree with what nathan and IanJ have said...you have a serious mismatch with most of the speakers in your AV system,and yet quite a nice audio only system.

If you like the sound of Mission speakers,it would be well worth a look at using them throughout your systems,and getting a sound balance you like in both rooms.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Faxfan
    What you could do is buy my monitor audio silver front three speakers that i have for sale in the forum classifieds match these with the mission rears which i used as rears with the monitor audios and you will have a decent speaker system .then all you need to do is get a decent sub.
    Gonzo:D

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hence the post! The sounds quality between difference between the two systems is, errrr, quite a lot shall we say.

A centre bose speak doesn't make that much difference and sound panning is actually quite good (I think the amp has a lot to do with this, a lot of playing with sound levels and a sound level meter).

I think I have a few choices:

put the bose lot back together and see what it sounds like - but I think there is a serious mis-match between the bose and the denon 3803.

Look at a new 5.1 setup, probably mission to match up the SBR, SBL channels

Keep the polk (?) and try and match a new pair of missions at the front to it then look at the rear setup, maybe another pair missions to match everything up

What about the sub and centre ??

rs = richer sounds ?

Any more views..???

Thanks for the input so far guys..

Robin.

ps. I could then use the bose for a av setup in the bedroom...

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The easiest thing to try is putting the Missions from the audio system into the AV room as fronts.

Bose do seem to sell well on eBay.