Speaker advice - please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rdt123, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

I am in the process of rebuilding my system and recently picked up a kef xq2c centre. This is excellent but i am struggling to find matching fonts. I was after XQ1's but these are like hens teeth in white. I noticed that superfi have the elpos M15.2 floorstanders for only £349.99 which seems like a real bargain so:

1) Are these any good? Can't find my what hifi form when they were tested.
    2) Does anyone have any they could photo for me?
    3) Will they complement the kef centre?

As always any input much appreciated.

tia

Rob T

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    I confess myself confused, you were looking at the now discontinued Kef XQ1 which is a bookshelf speaker that has been replaces by the XQ10 which sells for about £700 per pair, and now you are looking to replace it with a large floor-stander which sells for about £350 and has a single 150mm woofer?

Why not the -

Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3's with twin 130mm woofers (£299.95/pair)

The fantastic Wharfedale Evo2-30 with twin 170mm woofers (£299.95/pair)

The award winning EPOS ELS303 with twin 130mm woofers(£319.00/pair)

The well respected MISSION M35i with twin 165mm woofers, and a 165mm mid (£349.95/pair)

The very appealing and award winning Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 with two 200mm Kevlar woofers (£399.00/pair)

or if you really can spend £700, then why not the Epos M16 with 130mm bass woofer, 130mm bass/mid (£649.00/pair)

or the award winning ACOUSTIC ENERGY AELITE 3 with two 125mm bass speakers and a 110mm low/mid speaker (£649.95/pair)

My point is, I see no consistency between your two choices.

Give us a budget, music type, music vs video preference, type of amp used, what your goals are, what your restrictions are (space, etc...)?

Then we can probably guide you.

Steve/bluewizard

PS: all the speakers and the prices mentioned are available from SuperFi.

3. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The centre i have is an excellent speaker. I have owned over a dozen and its the best one i have owned. I figured that the XQ1's wouldbe the right tonal match obviously. As these are hard to find i considered a floorstander to gave more bass extenison for stereo music. These seem like a good buy at £349 given they still retail at £699. I was simply looking for advice on these speakers from any owners out there. I could spend £700 on a pair put i didn't see the need in that XQ1's are now £350 (wrong colour) and the M15.2's are £349.

Use is 60/40 music. Room is 22ft long and 15ft wide. BTW Steve, do you work for Superfi?

Rob

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    "BTW Steve, do you work for Superfi?"

NO! In your case I quoted SuperFi because you did, though for a quick easy reference SuperFi is nice, but despite quoting them often, I do encourage people to shop the Internet. This is especially easy if you already know what you are looking for. A quick search of google.co.uk, isolating the search to the UK, usually turns up good results. (no, I don't work for Google either.)

Actually I do feel somewhat self conscious because I do refer to SuperFi a lot in my replies, I'm surprised I haven't receive a Howler from the Mods, but again, I encourage people to shop around and my references to SuperFi should never be consider more than an illustration of general prices.

Now to the point, can you actually get XQ1's??? If doesn't matter if they are giving them away free, if you can't actually find them in-stock anywhere. Though, nice as they are, I can't imagine why you would want a bookshelf when you are already considering very nice floor-standers.

Any of the speakers I mentioned would be excellent, but since you mentioned tight solid bass, I am even more inclined to recommend that you look at floor standers with two bass speakers. Which also represents another element of confusion on my part, you chose the one floor stander with a single woofer, when on the very same page there are may bigger better speakers with more bass capability at a very similar price.

Can you really look at all the speakers I suggested and come back to me and say that the M15.2 is the most appealing for the money?

It pays to shop.

steve/bluewizard