Speaker Advice Please!

redmarkred

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my Mordaunt Short 914s and have shortlisted the following 3 speakers which are at the top of my budget.

I would appreciate your opinions on which of the 3 would be the best buy (they are all floor-standers):

Dali ZENSOR 5
Monitor Audio Bronze BX5
Mordaunt Short Aviano 8

They are all the same price so that's not a factor!

After talking to a few people I've decided to try the Monitor Audio Bronze BX5. I've arranged a 7 day home trial with them so will report back with my opinion.

My only concern is that they may not have enough bass presence in my large living room. Although hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suppose I could alwayus try the BX6 if that is the case.

If the speakers you try in your house are brand new then they are not going to sound their best until they have been run in for quite a few hours. Hence do not be too quick to judge if the bass is a little light etc when first used.

If the speakers you try in your house are brand new then they are not going to sound their best until they have been run in for quite a few hours. Hence do not be too quick to judge if the bass is a little light etc when first used.

Thanks yes I'll make sure I run them in before judging.

Although I'm still not sure whether to just cancel the BX5s and try the BX6s. It's just that my lounge is approx 5 metres x 3.5 metres and I'm worried they won't fill the room. Has anyone else run the BX5s in a similarly sized room?

Are your room measurements correct? If so, I wouldn't call it a large listening room. My room is the same size and I tend to refer to it as small-to-medium. It's all relative I guess.

I can't give a definate answer to your question as I haven't heard the MA speakers you mention but looking at the BX5 spec I see it handles over 100W rms and is quite efficient so I'd expect it to easily fill your room. In fact, a larger speaker than the BX5 could possibly give a little too much bass. I use a bookshelf speaker (6.5" bass/mid driver) and it plays seriously loud without any problems. So long as you've got decent amp power available, I'd expect the BX5's to generate ample volume in your room.

Are your room measurements correct? If so, I wouldn't call it a large listening room. My room is the same size and I tend to refer to it as small-to-medium. It's all relative I guess.

I can't give a definate answer to your question as I haven't heard the MA speakers you mention but looking at the BX5 spec I see it handles over 100W rms and is quite efficient so I'd expect it to easily fill your room. In fact, a larger speaker than the BX5 could possibly give a little too much bass. I use a bookshelf speaker (6.5" bass/mid driver) and it plays seriously loud without any problems. So long as you've got decent amp power available, I'd expect the BX5's to generate ample volume in your room.

Hi, measurements are approximate! I suppose size is relative to what you're used to. It's certainly bigger than most peoples living rooms that I know!

Anyway I've actually got some BX6's on the way which are:

Sensitivity (dB) 90
Power Rating (RMS) 150
Impedance (ohms) 8

So from what you say these will be ample! My only concern is my amp. What do you think? Although I mostly listen at fairly low volume levels.

My amp is a Cambridge Audio 540a:

Power Output: 50 watts into 8 Ohms
80 watts into 4 Ohms

Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms

Hi, measurements are approximate! I suppose size is relative to what you're used to. It's certainly bigger than most peoples living rooms that I know!

Anyway I've actually got some BX6's on the way which are:

Sensitivity (dB) 90
Power Rating (RMS) 150
Impedance (ohms) 8

So from what you say these will be ample! My only concern is my amp. What do you think? Although I mostly listen at fairly low volume levels.

My amp is a Cambridge Audio 540a:

Power Output: 50 watts into 8 Ohms
80 watts into 4 Ohms

Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms

Basically I want to make sure I won't damage the speakers! :)

Your amp will have more than enough power to run the speakers and will not damage them at all. The max power handling is just that, a maximum the speaker can take, and has no bearing on if an amp is powerful enough. There will also be a minimum power requirement that will most likely be around 20W and this is more important. Also i suspect the CA amp is being very conservative with its power output value and will most likely have as much if not more power per channel than an AV receiver quoted 100W+ per channel.

Your amp will have more than enough power to run the speakers and will not damage them at all. The max power handling is just that, a maximum the speaker can take, and has no bearing on if an amp is powerful enough. There will also be a minimum power requirement that will most likely be around 20W and this is more important. Also i suspect the CA amp is being very conservative with its power output value and will most likely have as much if not more power per channel than an AV receiver quoted 100W+ per channel.

That's great thanks for putting my mind to rest! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom