Speaker advice please

O

OGIII

I've had a search around and haven't found anything so any advice would be apreciated please.

I'm putting a plasma on a side wall and PJ on back wall and so need to be able to switch the orientation of the speakers depending on whether I'm using the Plasma or PJ as the display.

Lounge-AV-layout.gif

Hopefully you can see what I mean from this little plan.

I know I'm going to need two Centres (black) but can I switch e.g. FL-PJ to be RL-Plasma etc either using seperate box or are there any amps that can handle it (I will be buying new amp so not a problem).

Thanks in advance.

Hi OGIII,

Cant help but ask as to why you'ld want to complicate your system this much?
Switching the PJ centre channel to the plasma centre should be easy, but to switch the remaining five channels thru 90 degrees,and still have each one playing the correct sound information for the viewing device in my mind :- a) cant be done, or b) if it can, I should imagine it would be a total 'mare to get it right.
You see, each output of the amp corresponds to the position of the speaker it's connected to, so you'ld have to find a way to switch it's front/left (PJ) to rear/left for the plasma, then do the same for the remaing speakers. Plus there is the question of sound degradation, as each additional piece of equipment downstream of the amp will add to some sort of distortion/interference of it's own.
I think the best (and least complicated) solution would be to fit the plasma to the wall, and get a drop down screen for the PJ so for normal viewing you lift the screen and use the plasma, then for the BIG movie/sport moments drop it down and use the PJ.
The only other way to do what you suggested, would be to have two AV amps (one for PJ and one for plasma) and wire them up to the corresponding speakers for each listening/viewing areas, but make sure that whatever view you are using the other amp is switched OFF to avoid damage.

TTFN.

Originally posted by the mechanic
Hi OGIII,

Cant help but ask as to why you'ld want to complicate your system this much?
Switching the PJ centre channel to the plasma centre should be easy, but to switch the remaining five channels thru 90 degrees,and still have each one playing the correct sound information for the viewing device in my mind :- a) cant be done, or b) if it can, I should imagine it would be a total 'mare to get it right.
You see, each output of the amp corresponds to the position of the speaker it's connected to, so you'ld have to find a way to switch it's front/left (PJ) to rear/left for the plasma, then do the same for the remaing speakers. Plus there is the question of sound degradation, as each additional piece of equipment downstream of the amp will add to some sort of distortion/interference of it's own.
I think the best (and least complicated) solution would be to fit the plasma to the wall, and get a drop down screen for the PJ so for normal viewing you lift the screen and use the plasma, then for the BIG movie/sport moments drop it down and use the PJ.
The only other way to do what you suggested, would be to have two AV amps (one for PJ and one for plasma) and wire them up to the corresponding speakers for each listening/viewing areas, but make sure that whatever view you are using the other amp is switched OFF to avoid damage.

TTFN.

Thanks for the input.

I did originally think about a screen infront of the Plasma but the distance isn't ideal. The way I want it means I could have a 9' screen, which would also double to close off the much larger room at the back of this room.

2 amps is a possibility but complicates the set up for Mrs and littleun.

I assumed there would be some sort of switch box to basically 'send' the signal to the required speaker that would sit between the speaker and the amp, a bit like the one I've got that you can use to select which speakers in which room are on or off.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom