1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice Please, Mission, AE, KEF, Linn?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smartfarm, Feb 14, 2002.

1. smartfarm

smartfarm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok in a few days im moving from my room in Halls of residence to a 1300 Sq Ft apartment.

So I will have a good sized room.

This is what I currently have

Sony Str-Db1070
    B&W 601s2

I want to add another set of speakers.
    My plan was to add another set of B&W but have decided agent this as I think I would like something better quality at the front, And I Plan to sell the B&W at some point in time.

I have been offered a Second hand Mission 780 with some beautiful mission stands, SANCE. All for £200 (10 months old)

I have also been offered the Acustic Energy AE109 (Possibly SE) For £120 (Second hand 3 Years old)

Kef Concerto 2 for £300 (New)

Also looking at mission 773e £200 from Rs

Finally LINN KEOSA SPEAKERS For £300 from SuperFi

I would like to spend £200 but I will go to £300

What do you think?
    My current favourite is the mission 780s

Oh and I listen to R&B, HipHop and that sort, this system will Very rarely be used in 5.1. I normally just use 2 Channels as I don’t have a TV (But do have a PC)

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I don't think you'll find anything objectively of better quality than B&W. You might find something you prefer the sound of. And that's the point, really - speakers sound different to each other, and you will have a different preference to me or anyone else that posts their opinion here. I would strongly suggest that you spend some time auditioning different speakers, ideally at the same time and in the same setup - of course, this can be difficult if you're buying second hand. Don't worry about which products get 5 stars in the magazines - trust your ears.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had the original Mission 780s (were Cyrus 780s) and, while they were great sounding little speakers, their power handling capacity left much to be desired. I think I blew the bass drivers on them at least 3 times (around £30-40 to get repaired) so they're probably not the best for dynamic home cinema use. Bass extension was also lacking but backed up with a REL Strata II the sound was awesome.

My only real sonic complaint was that the cabinets were prone to resonance with some types of sound, eg piano music. However, £200 for the speakers and stands is not a bad deal if you can live with the limitations, especially since the new models are likely to be much better than the ones I owned.

I eventually got fed up with them and sold mine to my mate and bought a pair of Dynaudio Audience 50s - Dynaudio make amazing speakers imo. Also bought the silver Mission Stance just because they look cool.

Speakers can sound very different in different environments, so try to demo the models you are interested in at home before committing.

4. smartfarm

smartfarm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments, the main good point about the mission is the stands are soooo nice.

The problem is I cant demo them in my room as im taking them to Prague (where I go to uni).