1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Loony, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy a new av system - my current thoughts are:

DVD - Yamaha DVDS520
    Amp - Marantz 4200

But I'm unsure what the best choice of speakers is or even whether to go the sub/sat route. I have a pretty small room which is an awkward shape (14' x 12' into the alcoves) so its hard to position the speakers well. The sofas up against the back wall and there isn't too much space for big rears on the side walls because of the door

I will be using the system 50/50 for movies and music so stereo playback quality is as important as multichannel (I'll be using the dvd player for cds too). My other kit is a panny sky box and a 28" JVC widescreen.

Can anyone recommend a good speaker package for my setup?

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Wharfdale Screen 8.3 or the Mission M72. If you're looking at smaller speakers then the Mission M70 package might be an option. Depends on you're price range?. Put that in and you'll probably get some more replies.

3. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My guess is that £300 should buy a set of speakers to do justice to the electronics - would you agree with this?

I am restricted on space for the rears because of the doorway, anything over 200mm deep is going to be too big which includes the Missions and Wharfedales mentioned in the previous post

My current short list is:

Eltax Liberty 5+ package

Tannoy -
    fronts: mx2 or mx3
    center mxc
    rears: mxr

Wharfedale -
    fronts: 8.2 or 8.3
    center: 8
    rears: 8 dfs - has anywhere got these in stock yet?

Elac Cinema 1 sub/sat package

Elac cinema 2 sub/sat package

Mordant short premier sub/sat package

Can anyone recommend which is the best choice or is there another option I have missed?